• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who carries a purse?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do hope eventually men become more open minded about purse carrying. It would be nice if we could carry some extra "stuff". But so far I'm not quite there yet. I got a real nice black leather one with pockets and all but I just can't bring myself to carry it, yet.

Attachments

• 17225257771408744384742238818976.jpg
    17225257771408744384742238818976.jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 0
During research for my first novel I learned the correct historical term is "possibles bag," and the contents were only what was needed for loading and maintaining the owner's rifle, and sometimes fire starting items. Of course that surely varied among individuals. The premise was that things not directly related to shooting ought to be carried would lessen fumbling for essentials. But one person's research might result in entirely different results.

Every now and again I lay out the contents of my bag. I ask each item if I really need it and when did I last use it. Weight is not such a big deal in a stand or boat. But if you are following dogs or stalking a wounded animal you can come to regret every non essential ounce.
In cool weather, I may forgo a bag in favor of a jacket or vest with multiple pockets.

My wife and son are merciless about my possibles bag. My wife went as far as putting a feminine hygiene product in it to surprise me the next time I used it! They call it a purse. Lately it’s been called a murse. I think they have given me a complex.
Write the boy out of your will and put an open pack of Mail Pouch tobacco in her purse.

Smaller than it looks and very efficient for squirrel hunting the thick mountains. It was a purse that my wife bought years ago but never used it.

Attachments

• IMG_2147.jpeg
    IMG_2147.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
As an interesting tangent, here is another example of the divergance of American English and British English. AT first I thought this thread was about small pouches for carrying lose change, documents, etc. But it turns out that what you call a purse, we call a 'handbag'. Some purses (handbags) do indeed make good cartridge or accoutrements bags. If they are not too fancily adorned of course!

I learned something new today. New names for the man bags. People are now using crossbody bags, unisex bags, unisex crossbody bags, and so on.

But I still like “possibles” bag myself. But that is a muzzleloader kind of thing.

Historically speaking, it seems a purse has become socially linked to females but in reality, women's clothing had small/tiny pockets, if any. "Fashion" I suppose, who wanted coins and keys and such weighing down their 'hips' :) Anyway, that's one reason women have carried a 'purse' throughout our more recent and modern history. Men have far more and larger pockets so that we can put our Constanza-like wallets, key chains with every key we've ever owned and at least $2.50 in mixed coins on our person at all times. Ok, so that last bit is for the now 45+ year olds.

I personally have grown to hate anything in my pockets and carry only my truck key fob (no keys at all) and a small wallet of only essential debit/credit cards and my driver's license.
My first black powder bag I made out of an old black shoulder purse that was a lot like a field bag with a snap to keep the top fastened. It worked very well for my unmentionable BP rifle and I used it at first for hunting once I got a longrifle. I was very proud of the fact I had removed some decor from the purse, came up with a longer shoulder strap, and made a hunting bag out of it. Then my wife gave me a leather shooting bag for Christmas about 20-years ago and I still use that.

I'm with you though on bulky wallets and full pockets. I have a thin flip open wallet with 2 clear compartments inside. I put my license in one side of it and my debit card plus one credit card in the other side and call it good. I keep it in my front pocket. I've been tempted to only carry my driver's license in it and just use my phone for debit and credit, but I'm still not use to carrying my phone everywhere with me. For years hear on this side of the hill in Washington state there has been no cell coverage and I couldn't get texts either. Then I got an iPhone and as long as I'm hooked up to my wi-fi, I can make and answer calls and get text messages. I like use the phone to pay but I have also been known to forget it until I got where I was going...oops!:dunno:

EDC bags from Amazon, generally pretty cheap and lots of size options. Or my latest 'invention', a binocular case that I picked up last year for an elk hunt. This is an FHF FOB, pricey, but in my opinion it was well worth it and came with a lot of optional attachments. Easily mounts to a back pack or use it's own excellent harness. You could easily pick up a cheaper version and get the same benefits.

I use it for binos all the way thru deer season and then when late season ML starts up, I transition it to a chest mounted possibles bag. Works out great for both deer hunting and for late season squirrels. The range finder serves as my spotting scope; at 6x it's plenty in the woods. I have a c.2008 Bass Pro fanny pack/day pack with shoulder straps that I'll wear and carry any extras like a seat pad or use it's Molle add-on pouches if it's a long day trip for snacks etc. It's main compartment will hold several squirrels or a hefty lunch and large thermos of coffee.

About Squirrel usage....

Where I come from a "purse" is a loose change Coin bag, a practical way to avoid coins spread around the pockets of trews , jackets and shirts.

Its easy to make your own to whatever size suits you, I generally hang on to some old work gloves for scrap leather needed for Flint wraps, small bags for ML odds and ends and of course a coin purse.
On decent quality work gloves (non chinese) the thick leather is on the palm side and thinner leather is top side, thick leather for the purse and thinner leather for Flint wraps or whatever.

Attached pics are of my currently used coin purse.

Attachments

• Purse .jpg
    Purse .jpg
    880.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Purse 2.jpg
    Purse 2.jpg
    730.4 KB · Views: 0
I made a bag, but I bought a purse strap from goodwill to go with it 😁
I should have bought a woven strap at Kempton but didn't think of it dangit
Braid a strap using parachute cord. It’s all the rage at the gun shows where everyone seemingly has bracelets, key cords, etc made with braided parachute cords. Then you have a 1,000 feet plus of unbraided cord for emergencies if needed.

Another variant would be one of the models of the British infantry "expense pouch" carried in Victorian times, mostly for ammunition. Apparently the name derives from having the contents easily at hand to "expend" quickly.

Latest posts

Back