• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40 cal..Opinions??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flapjack

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I am debating buying a .40, or .32 Green Mountain drop in barrel for my Lyman Deerstalker. This gun will be used for small game. I have read the usual arguments about the .40...Too big and destructive for small game, yet too small for deer..

Honestly I am really looking for justification to buy the .40, as I already have a .36 (percussion) and would like to leave the .32 "slot" open for a custom flinter some day..

Do any of you prefer the .40 for small game? Pros? Cons?

Thanks!

Hi
I've got one of each cap and flint in .40cal and love them for rabbits, hares, wallabies and target shooting.
With a soft charge 20-25gr for rabbits they are no more messy than a HV .22LR.

jeff, i saw in a previous post you used it on goats was that more of a one-off or just when you are really close to them?

I have a custom .40 with an old Belgin Dixie Barrel That my brother made for me about 10 years ago. It is a great shooter and I have many times used it for small game and it works very well. The only thing I don't like about hunting with it is that it is very heavy and it wears me out pretty fast.

I have a TVM Po' Boy Tennessee in .40 Flint---and I consider it to be one of the most accurate of all my BP rifles. I've taken rabbit and squirrel with it, and with a high enough hit no meat is spoiled. :front:

I have a .40 Tenn. made for me by Jack Garner.This is the most accurate of several rifles I have.While over in Ms I visited Jack's shop and we speced. out a rifle.I was set on a .32 and left with one ordered but Jack made a strong case for the .40.About a week later I called him and changed my order.I have thoroughly enjoyed this rifle.A friend of mine was so taken with it the first time we shot it he went home and ordered one.He has many rifles and the forty is his favorite.
Wayne Byram

I have used my .40 for small game as well as deer. The last deer I shot with it was a lung shot that went clear through the deer. You may recall that Davy Crockets Old Betsey was a .40 and he killed a bunch of bear with it. At Friendship IN the NMLRA headquarters ,there is a saying that goes like this. "Bring em big or small .40cal beats them all" Most championship shooters use a .40. Nuf Said.

I would not hesitate to use the .40 on deer,if only Ga would allow it.It is legal in some states where the deer run larger than our local ones.
WB

check your game laws--the .40 is illegal for small game where I live (Louisiana). But if you already have a .36, you are splitting hairs between the .32 and .40! You appear to already have a deer rifle. I own both a .40 and a .32 and prefer the .32 for small game. The .40 is accurate but relegated to targets by the local fish&game boys (it is also illegal for deer). No amount of reason works here--just get what you want and never look back! I sold my .36, but still have the .32, .40, .45, .50, building a .54, sold my .58, have a .62 smoothie....think I'll quit.

I have used my .40 for small game as well as deer. The last deer I shot with it was a lung shot that went clear through the deer.
Kenny, what charge are you using on deer?

Ewan: only shot goats once with it but would again. Took the shot at 100 only because 1) I had a great rest, 2) I had a friend with my SKS with a full mag beside me, 3) NO WIND.
:peace:

Back