• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40 for deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread has convinced me that my next rifle with be a 40 caliber flinklock. :thumbsup:

KHickam said:
This thread has convinced me that my next rifle with be a 40 caliber flinklock. :thumbsup:

You won't regret it. I used my .40 on about everything (coyote, turkey, rabbit, squirrel, woodchuck, and even deer once). Very nice caliber.

I always felt that a 40 cal was to big for somthing small and to small for somthing big.
Well I rebarreled by blueridge 36 cal with a 40 cal Greenmtnbarrel so I could shoot in our local small cal shoots.
I was vert happy with my results after properly lapping my barrel.
I will say this the .020 super tight weave Patch I settled on from Texas Patching brought my groups from one inch at 50 yrds to one half inch.
Also as long as the wind isen't blowing that little ball gets down range wicked fast with 60 plus grns of ffg Goex.
I feel if it's all I had I woulden't hesitate using it on deer.
:thumbsup:

Sorry about the quality of the pic, the lighting in my shop was poor.
DSCF4559.jpg

that's shootin' to be proud of ,my money's on you makin' venision with that if it was all you had too!

rdillion said:
Thanks for the info. I was shooting 65grs thru my 40 but I scaled that down to 55 or 60. Have to check my measure. Seemed to shoot more accurately in my rifle.
My favorite 40 caliber load is 55 grains.
I have taken white tails and mule deer both with that load and never felt under gunned.
If I go up in powder charge my groups open up and I am an accuracy nut.
I never understood why people have a target load and then a hunting load.
My hunting load is the one that is the most accurate and is obviously going to be my target load as well.
All that extra power doesn't mean much to me if I can't hit my mark.

MK43 said:
rdillion said:
Thanks for the info. I was shooting 65grs thru my 40 but I scaled that down to 55 or 60. Have to check my measure. Seemed to shoot more accurately in my rifle.
My favorite 40 caliber load is 55 grains.
I have taken white tails and mule deer both with that load and never felt under gunned.
If I go up in powder charge my groups open up and I am an accuracy nut.

I never understood why people have a target load and then a hunting load.
My hunting load is the one that is the most accurate and is obviously going to be my target load as well.

I agree with you, I have noticed tho that when using Greenmtnbarrels and it's deep .012 grooves I can get very good accuracy with many loads, the hotter the better using a thick .030 canvas patch.
IE... I shoot 110 grns of ffg Goex express out of my 54 TVM Leman for hunting and get MOA at 100 yrds.
My off hand rifle is a 45 and I shoot 70 grns of ffg Goex at my 25 to 50 yrds off hand targets but shoot 80 grns at 100yrds for perfect point of aim and still get MOA, (not off hand ofcoarse)
I have seen other barrels with not as deep grooves be more particular to it's load, but not greenmtnbarrels or other barrels like Rice with their deep grooves.

MK43 said:
Speaking only from my own experiences, I've never seen such a condition to exist.

A max load might mean 2-3" group at 100 yards instead of a 1.5-2" group when using a mild target/mid-range powder charge, but IMO, for big game hunting that slight possible difference is nothing and far offset by the benefits of a flatter trajectory and more energy delivered at the target, particularly at longer distances.

Greenmtnboy said:
I always felt that a 40 cal was to big for somthing small and to small for somthing big.
Well I rebarreled by blueridge 36 cal with a 40 cal Greenmtnbarrel so I could shoot in our local small cal shoots.
I was vert happy with my results after properly lapping my barrel.
I will say this the .020 super tight weave Patch I settled on from Texas Patching brought my groups from one inch at 50 yrds to one half inch.
Also as long as the wind isen't blowing that little ball gets down range wicked fast with 60 plus grns of ffg Goex.
I feel if it's all I had I woulden't hesitate using it on deer.

Sorry about the quality of the pic, the lighting in my shop was poor.
DSCF4559.jpg

Naw it is just right for a lot.

That is awesome shooting my friend I would frame that.

That was what my .40 was made for targets(we shoot for quarters and bragging rights).
again about your target :thumbsup: :bow: :hatsoff:

KHickam said:

you and me both. altho, before i use it for deer, im going to shoot the heck out of it.

very interested in a poor boy-.40

"They can argue with results all they want, but it'll knock 'em dead at 48 yards."

Gotta go with Spot,my .40 gun never read the ballistic data so it just went on killing Deer not knowing no better.

Back