• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40cal vs. .45cal for deer hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Been a busy day...I typed this is MS word earlier and thought I came back and posted it...may have been a different forum but now I can't remember...so here it is.
Just an opinion about .40cal vs. .45cal PRBs based on my own deer hunting experiences in NC woods with .45/.50/.54/.58/.62cal PRBs, seeing the progressive differences in terminal effects / impact on deer, the different amounts / distances of blood trail / tracking involved.

And my opinion on .40cal vs. 45cal PRBs for deer hunting also come from the point of view of leaving the house to go deer hunting for a day, not knowing what conditions / distances I may be presented with, etc. (yes, we all know deer have been taken with the .22LR, the .40cal PRBs, with handguns, that shot placement is important, etc. We have also read that a settler’s typical shot on game with their small-ish calibers was very close”¦ie: a treed bear at point blank range, etc.)

My view is that the 128grn/.45cal PRB is smallest / lightest caliber PRB I will consider to be a deer hunting caliber here in NC woods and even then I don't view it as a 100yd deer gun.
The farthest shot I’ve ever taken was a heart shot on a perfectly still broadside buck, with 90grns Goex 3F out of a 32” barreled .45cal at 60yds, and the ball did not exit like so often happens with larger calibers at that range. Fortunately I saw him go down off through the trees as there was only a very sparse, practically non-existent blood trail.

The tiny 92grn/.40cal PRB is even smaller / lighter of course and I don’t consider it a general purpose “leave the house to go deer hunting” kind of caliber.
If I was going to set up overlooking a trail crossing a creek 30yds away and was disciplined enough to know I would have to pass on a Boone & Crocket buck at 75yds, I would try a .40cal PRB for that specific circumstance”¦but otherwise it’s not a caliber I’ll commit a day’s general deer hunting to.
I have a .40cal Late Lancaster and absolutely love it for targets and squirrels.

Can't help but consider round ball in anything smaller than .45 a small game load. And I wish I'd had a smaller bore when I was a kid getting something to flavor the rice.
I've seen a doe run a long way after a .54 pulverized her chest. It happens.
For hunting, big is good.

Reading what so many had stated I figured a .50 cal was about ideal. A .490" PRB for medium game, and, given a chance to hunt something big like an elk, I'd use a conical. If I'd go get glasses I could likely shoot beyond 50-75 yds!

I agree with Roundball on this subject. Last fall I shot a deer with the 45 caliber round ball and found hair at the place it stood. Found no blood until after I found the deer. That deer went about 200 yards. Never had one go that far when hit with a larger caliber and a conical or sabot. My 40 caliber rifle will be kept for targets and small game.

I obtained a .40 for targets, and with the hope of some squirrels and rabbits. It is legal for deer here in Maryland, and it's a bit "odd" around here, and I like to be a bit different..., black powder shooter, black powder hunter, British reenactor...sorry I digress...

Yet I have been able to obtain a small quantity of REAL style bullets for the .40, which increases the weight of the projectile to beyond that of the .45 round ball..., so after I have verified that the conical shoots well from my Green Mountain 1:48 twist barrel (and it should), then I might try for a deer with the .40. As my shots are below 100 yards, with such a projectile I don't doubt a deer might be harvested.

I plan on getting my boy out this year with a caplock .45 with a patched round ball, and hopefully he will get his first deer.

LD

I deer hunt with a 40cal but keep my shots at 50yrds and under. 25 to 30yrds is normal, sometimes closer than that. Shot placement is key with any caliber. You just have to remember that 40cal RB is not very heavy and doesn't have a lot of energy left when the ranges lengthen. I'm a pretty good shot with this rifle at 75yrds but I'm a dead-eye at 25yrds. :rotf: Keep them close. :thumbsup:

You have pretty well answered your own question.
I'll agree, .45 cal. with a prb is, IMHO, the smallest ml caliber one should consider for deer. All the deer I have killed with a muzzle loader have been with a .45 cal. prb. All dropped where they stood or leaped about 20-30 feet before going down.
I'll further emphasize and agree with you the .40 cal. prb is too small for humane deer hunting.
I would liken it to using a .22lr for moose.

The half-dozen or so deer I've killed with my 40cal have also dropped where they stood or were recovered after a short blood trail but as I said we're talking short bow-hunting type ranges. I've had deer run off after a solid hit with my 54cal so like they say sometimes you just can't tell. The 40cal is legal for deer in Arkansas but you have to limit yourself to close shots. I'll agree that a 50cal is probably a better choice if you want to stretch that distance some. I need to shoot em close cause of my old-timey eyes and I can't see em further away. :rotf:

What I would do if starving or poor or if otherwise limited to what was available is different than what I do by choice. I choose to hunt whitetail with a .54 round ball because I know it works well. Never have noticed excessive meat damage at the moderate loads I use and has all the accuracy I need for my style of hunting.

.40 would not be a legal muzzleloader for large game in NY. Minimum is .44"

Spence posted a good story awhile back about a buck he shot with his .40 caliber. However, I fully understand the intent of your post. My primary calibers for deer are .54 and .58 caliber. I like big holes and lots of blood if I can get it.

Jeff

roundball said:
Just an opinion about .40cal vs. .45cal PRBs based on my own deer hunting experiences in NC woods with .45/.50/.54/.58/.62cal PRBs, seeing the progressive differences in terminal effects / impact on deer, the different amounts / distances of blood trail / tracking involved.

I have a .40cal Late Lancaster and absolutely love it for targets and squirrels.

I totally agree with Roundball.

I use an older, but very accurate CVA, percussion cap, .50 caliber Hawken Carbine (6½ lb., 24" barrel) with iron sights for deer hunting in the Ohio woods and even with a .50 caliber, I limit my hunting range to 80 yards or less (preferably less).

I have often wondered if I shouldn't be using a .54 caliber rifle since the difference in results on deer between the 2 calibers is sometimes dramatic. However, so far, the .50 caliber Hawken Carbine has proven to be quite adequate for deer.

While the .40 caliber is a bit much for squirrels, it's a fine caliber for smaller game (coyotes, groundhogs, raccoons, skunks, fox, rabbits, squirrels, etc.) & a very good paper-punching caliber just as are the .32 and .36 caliber rifles.

That said, deer have certainly been taken with .40 caliber rifles... but projectile placement needs to be near-perfect and shorter ranges must be the "norm".

Jus' my 2¢... :)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Latest posts

Back