• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 navy hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had deer like pets around my yard.

I'd ask... Are you hunting?

What's ethical to use on them?

Ok so I am interested but n hunting with a 1851 navy replica .44 cal revolver. I’ve read so many statements about how they never killed a thing and it was always the infection that did the job. Plenty of folks talking about how ineffective they are.

I’ve read they don’t hold a large enough powder charge to ethically take game as large as a deer. But in my research I did find a thread on another forum where a gentleman had successfully taken a white-tailed buck with an old army but with a 30 grain load which the navy will hold.

Anyone hunted game with a load that light around here? I archery hunt so I understand the concept of patiently waiting for the right shot, and would only take shots at distances I could be deadly accurate at. Probably no more than 25 yards.

What are your thoughts? Experiences?
There was a guy who successfully killed an African Elephant with a .22 lr and lived but most of us would not choose one for the large bore for our next safari.

There was a guy who successfully killed an African Elephant with a .22 lr and lived but most of us would not choose one for the large bore for our next safari.
The story is he did not kill the elephant but survived a charge from an elephant!
He shot the guide in the knee and ran like hell....!

I've also read where the 1851 was not as effective in a clean kill. But the 51 was a 36 caliber and less chamber capacity. That is why the 1860 was more popular. So there might be some confusion there. Did you read about the 1851or the 44 caliber?
The .36 cal 1851 sure was plenty deadly in the hands of Wild Bill!

Sorry I'm late but I would use a deer shaped target also
Are your caps #11 or #10.

I’m shooting RWS 1075 #11 caps as they are all I can find. Good call on shooting deer shaped targets. I often draw a deer on poster paper for a target but am just familiarizing myself with the gun and have over a year before I plan to hunt deer with it. So, lazily bought targets at the range to get going. Good call though, I’ll start doing that now to imprint that muscle memory.

I’m shooting RWS 1075 #11 caps as they are all I can find. Good call on shooting deer shaped targets. I often draw a deer on poster paper for a target but am just familiarizing myself with the gun and have over a year before I plan to hunt deer with it. So, lazily bought targets at the range to get going. Good call though, I’ll start doing that now to imprint that muscle memory.
You may need #10 which should stay on the other nipples better during firing and also cut down on chain fire risk.

A little practice getting close to deer. 27 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_3923.jpeg
    IMG_3923.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
The .36 cal 1851 sure was plenty deadly in the hands of Wild Bill!
If you read and believe what's on Wikipedia, Wild Bill killed several men using his 36 by head shots at point blank range. Bill Tutt was shot through the heart at 75 yards so a 22 LR would have done the same, given 19th century medicine. He later shot several other men in the temple, so he knew where to put a 36 RB.

He switched to a 44 cal. Adams & Deane CNB Revolver in Hays, KS. and carried it in Abilene, KS. He ditched CNB revolvers and was carrying a S&W 32 Rimfire at TOD.

If you read and believe what's on Wikipedia...

Generally speaking, I don’t.

Put the bullet in the think tank or boiler room, and the .36 will do its job. Wouldn’t be my first (or second, or third) choice for use in taking a deer, but the .44 will be sufficient if the OP does his part.

Don’t mean to be condescending here, but I’d double check your state’s regulations and make sure it meets the minimum caliber requirements. Where I live (Idaho), big game can’t be taken with anything smaller than a .45 cal bullet.

Last edited:
I’ve checked the regulations and do quite regularly. There are no restrictions on caliber for black powder written anywhere in them. I will do my part and be sure I can put the ball where it want it, and wait for the right shot.

Got a coues deer with my bow yesterday. Hit him high and had to track him for a little over a mile. Shot him at 4:30p and found him at 11:00p. Still hunting along a creek. Little forked horn coues in velvet. Got me pretty excited to get out there with the Navy hopefully next season.

Got a coues deer with my bow yesterday. Hit him high and had to track him for a little over a mile. Shot him at 4:30p and found him at 11:00p. Still hunting along a creek. Little forked horn coues in velvet. Got me pretty excited to get out there with the Navy hopefully next season.
Congrats on taking with your bow. The smallest deer I've taken with my bow is still a trophy in my book.

You might catch less controversy by calling your Revolver a 44, rather then a Navy. The Colt Navy CNB models were always chambered in 36 caliber.
But many love the looks of the Navy, I know I do. But wanted more bullet weight.
Many wanted the Navy looks with a 44 bore. So the "1851 44 Navy" was created 50 oddc years ago, not based on anything original, but a meld of a favorite style and caliber.
Good luck.

Congrats on taking with your bow. The smallest deer I've taken with my bow is still a trophy in my book.

You might catch less controversy by calling your Revolver a 44, rather then a Navy. The Colt Navy CNB models were always chambered in 36 caliber.
But many love the looks of the Navy, I know I do. But wanted more bullet weight.
Many wanted the Navy looks with a 44 bore. So the "1851 44 Navy" was created 50 oddc years ago, not based on anything original, but a meld of a favorite style and caliber.
Good luck.
Yeah I started to pick up on that. Been waiting for a moderator to tell me to take this to modern muzzleloaders. I didn’t realize the .44 Navy was a “fantasy gun” until after starting this post. They are great looking guns. Thanks!

Yeah I started to pick up on that. Been waiting for a moderator to tell me to take this to modern muzzleloaders. I didn’t realize the .44 Navy was a “fantasy gun” until after starting this post. They are great looking guns. Thanks!
It's 1000% a real cap and ball black powder revolver, and as such you're fine on this site.
When many see the word Navy here they immediately think a 36 caliber.
Several black powder guns made today weren't made pre 1865, but they closely copy one that was.
As long as it or something similar was made before 1865 you are Golden.
If I gave you a different impression then above I'm sorry for that.

It's 1000% a real cap and ball black powder revolver, and as such you're fine on this site.
When many see the word Navy here they immediately think a 36 caliber.
Several black powder guns made today weren't made pre 1865, but they closely copy one that was.
As long as it or something similar was made before 1865 you are Golden.
If I gave you a different impression then above I'm sorry for that.
No you’re ok I’m just trying to learn all the ins and outs of cap and ball, as well as the communities guidelines. When I first came here all I had was an in line muzzleloader and was quickly notified that doesn’t belong here. Wasn’t sure if the fantasy guns would get the same treatment.

Latest posts

Back