• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.44 or .45 barrel for Trapper pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick_1

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I shoot primarily pistol competition. biathlon and paper matches. I had great success with my Traditions .50cal Trapper but the recoil is enough that it hurts the arthritis in my hands. I got a very expensive Pedersoli Le page that I can shoot pretty well two handed but not very well one handed so the paper matches are not good. I think part of the problem is that the lock in the Le page has never been quite right. I cant get the trigger pull correct without haveing un intentional hammer drops. Where its set right now there is a bit of creep and sometimes the hammer wont drop. If I reduce the creep the hammer will drop by just tapping the side of the pistol against my hand. I spent $50.00 to mail it to their warrantee guy and it came back functioning but not perfect by any means. out of the box it was not functioning at all. I hesitate to go through that process again. I really like the trigger pull on my Trapper and the way I have custom carved the grip. I like the weight and Ballance. The solution is to find a .45 barrel that will fit on my current trapper with no modification so that I can use my .50 cal barrel for hunting. Other option is find a barrel that I could fit into a new trapper kit. Preferably 10 inch long and 1 in 20 or 1 in 18 twist with adjustable sights.
Thanks for your ideas.

For me I find that the Trapper pistol is a CLUB and very heavy to shoot accurately. It may be a fun gun to shoot but definitely not a target pistol for me. Your mileage may vary :dunno: :thumb:

What you like is irrelevant. I like the trapper. For me I find that the weight helps keep it steady, the lock is decent and it stacks bullets. I like the lock and stock. I would love to find a barrel for it in .44 or .45 cal. for target shooting and keep my .50 cal barrel for hunting. If that is unreasonable then I would be open to buying a .50cal trapper kit and trying to fit a .45 cal barrel to it. So my question is really where and how does one go about finding a barrel like that?

I'd try double patching some smaller balls, its cheap and worth a try. I've done it in 50 and 54 rifles with good success. Try some.440, .445, .451, or .454. Your point of impact may change but shoot for groups and see what happens.

As for a barrel swap, i think the only thing that might work for a drop in would be a cva mountain pistol. Not sure how close it would be tho.

Back