• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.44 Peitta PC pistol confusion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always wondered why the Uberti Remington NMA is the only stainless cap and ball revolver that seems to be marketed anymore. If anyone made a stainless Colt 1860, it would go like hotcakes

Little confused on the model

I have looked at a lot of pics of the various .44 Piettas out there, and all look slightly different than mine (See pics)

Can anyone give the exact model?

By the way, in the box, never fired, $200 at a local estate sale!

It is an extremly gorgeous piece. Pics dont do it justice

And dont laugh at my socks in sandals. I was in a hurry to run outside and take the pics
Did someone polish up a Pietta Dance or is that a one in a gazillion Pietta?

Looking at the shape of the metal in the area of the recoil shield, in the photo it doesn't look like my Pietta Dance.

But if it isn't a Pietta Dance then where did that round barrel come from? Obviously it isn't an octagonal barrel machined down to make it round.

I've always wondered why the Uberti Remington NMA is the only stainless cap and ball revolver that seems to be marketed anymore. If anyone made a stainless Colt 1860, it would go like hotcakes
Probably more for "utility" or as a "poor man's Ruger Old Army" , Pietta makes a Stainless '58 Remington too.

I guess they figure the market for a solid frame Remington in stainless is much larger than the market for stainless open top Colts, which the majority of people buy because they're neat looking, and they like the color case and blue.

I like the look of a gun metal or polished Colt, if you wipe it down with Eezox it's pretty much as good as stainless.

Probably more for "utility" or as a "poor man's Ruger Old Army" , Pietta makes a Stainless '58 Remington too.

I guess they figure the market for a solid frame Remington in stainless is much larger than the market for stainless open top Colts, which the majority of people buy because they're neat looking, and they like the color case and blue.

I like the look of a gun metal or polished Colt, if you wipe it down with Eezox it's pretty much as good as stainless.
Well, as many people as there are who like the polished steel look, it seems like those same people would go for a stainless open top.

As for the poor man's ROA idea, I don't think that's what motivated Uberti to make the NMA in stainless. They really are very different revolvers, even if they bear some resemblance. I bought my own stainless NMA because the stainless appearance looks good, and the alloy does offer a utilitarian value. That's why I would jump all over a stainless 1860.

If Uberti and Pietta saw a profit opportunity in Stainless Colt-type revolvers, they'd be making them, no doubt. They probably feel the market is too niche, most people wouldn't pay the extra $$ for a stainless Colt Army or Navy and people who are into these guns expect to see the blue and color case. Pietta seems to have dropped or reduced the production of their Old Silver line, probably for this reason, people want the Colts in blue and color case.

I think it's about aesthetics, a 58 Remington in Stainless is just more appealing to the average buyer.

There are many guns that enthusiasts like us would love to see that wouldn't have wide market appeal. I had felt that Uberti should do something with the Starr type DA revolvers, like Pietta did and then dropped them. I emailed Uberti years ago asking if any Double Action percussion revolvers are in their plans and the employee basically told me they would never make a DA percussion revolver because there is no market for one.

I think the stainless NMA revolvers look nice.
They do look nice, I'm going to hit it with Mother's Mag Polish and make it look like shiny nickel plate. I think it will look great with the fake Ivory grips.

However, when they're that shined up any spec of dirt or carbon, or handling shows up like a sore thumb but that's fine.

I'd like to pick up another one and have a pair of them, it just seems like the kind of gun where you kinda need two of them.

They do look nice, I'm going to hit it with Mother's Mag Polish and make it look like shiny nickel plate. I think it will look great with the fake Ivory grips.

However, when they're that shined up any spec of dirt or carbon, or handling shows up like a sore thumb but that's fine.

I'd like to pick up another one and have a pair of them, it just seems like the kind of gun where you kinda need two of them.
Agree. Once you polish them you have to work to keep them polished and shiny clean or they don't look right. Every little spot shows.

Stainless isnt just for looks Go outside in a freezing or humid enviroment, and then come back inside a hour later Condensation is a gun killer, and SS helps keep the rust issue down Thats why SS big bore revolvers and rifles are so popular in Alaska and other cold wet environments. Still have to clean/wipe down, but it makes life easier

So I am STILL confused Is mine SS or not? And again, the round barrel Trust me when I say this firearm has never been fired or modified

Sir,
The gun is NOT stainless
It is a Pietta Old Silver model Dance & Brother
NONE were stainless , not now, not ever
They are polished carbon steel
They sold a million of the Old Silver '51 Navies for $300, not a one was stainless

I have a feeling though that you will not believe me or anyone else and will continue to believe it's stainless , it's your gun, you can pretend it's whatever you want

UPDATE:

1. I tried a magnet on three true stainless pieces I have (Cant beleive I didnt think of it): They all stick pretty hard

2. If my peice is polished steel, they polished the bore and all internal chambers in the cylinder

And Stan: How in the heck am I not beleiving YOU, I guess an expert?

And who is "PRETENDING" whatever it is made of? No one is pretending s--t, or not beleiving anyone

I still have no clue what real model it is, or what it is made of, SIR

Magnet grips hard, so it must be polished steel
Take look at what posted a few days ago on this subject

I dont like fake news because its lying, and I sure a heck dont like being accused of making statements or "pretending" things that I never did

20220921_174547.jpg

In The White , Old Silver finish

Pietta Dance and Brother .44

Used to be a $377 revolver, I doubt Pietta will make them again so it would be a long backorder

Latest posts

Back