• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 1863 Sharps Bullet Recommendations?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently acquired a .45 caliber 1863 Sharps by Pedersoli. I’m curious if there’s a preferred bullet and/or mold? Most of what I have run across has been for the larger caliber sharps, with the exception of two ring tail molds Pedersoli makes for these rifles. I see there was discussion about this not long ago, but the OP ended up going a different direction before the question was answered so I’m hoping to get some input.

On a related note, if someone has one of the Pedersoli paper cartridge molds they want to part with, feel free to let me know and I’ll give it a try.

I'd be tempted to take precise chamber measurements and go to Accurate for a perfect fitting bullet.
Three times Accurate has made designs to suit my needs and each time done it right.

There's some on this catalog page that mite be good starting points. Getting the length right from the front shoulder to the ring tail could be pretty important.
https://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=25#catalog-anchor

I'd be tempted to take precise chamber measurements and go to Accurate for a perfect fitting bullet.
Three times Accurate has made designs to suit my needs and each time done it right.

There's some on this catalog page that mite be good starting points. Getting the length right from the front shoulder to the ring tail could be pretty important.
Thank you, that’s helpful! It looks like they have a number of options that would probably work well.

In one of Elmer Keith's books I think it was 'hell, I was there ' he talks about acquiring a number of sharps rifles back sometime in the early 1900s and getting cartridges worked up for them and making shots.

This morning I'm actually lubing up a bunch of big 500 grain 45 caliber bullets for an old black powder rifle similar to what you're working with there.

These ol black powder guns will never stop bringing fun and joy to their beholders

I feel sorry for some folks, not real sorry just kind of feel like they're missing out on something special, no matter what the age or gender whether they be teenage boys and girls ,
30 or 40's something men and women, they are really missing out when the only firearms thear interested in is the black plastic semi-auto rifles and handguns

Hard to decide which size would be the best for each rifle bore.
some people say a thousands over bore size is the way to go.

Chambers and bores on mine very quite a bit, I'm going to try hollowin the base out of some of my bullets, kind of like what they did with the old 44 Colt and the conversion revolvers,
Or like what was called the mini Ball,
I don't know if the pressure will push the bullet it into the rifling too much and cause too much leadin?
Or,
if it will push it just as much as it will take and make a nice perfect fit.

IMG_20240812_150818.jpg
IMG_20240812_151000.jpg
IMG_20240812_151351.jpg

Back