• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 Caliber Maxi-Ball in a 50 Caliber Sabot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVGearhead

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all. I recently inherited what likely could be a lifetime supply of 45 caliber T/C maxi-balls and maxi-hunters. I don't have a 45 caliber muzzleloader, but do have a 50 caliber T/C Hawken. Any thoughts/experience will putting them in a sabot and shooting them through the 50 caliber? I called T/C and their rep told me he "didn't think anything bad would happen", but didn't have a whole lot more to add. Is there any reason I shouldn't try this...or should I try to find a 45 caliber...or melt them down and recast in 50 caliber? Any thoughts/advice are appreciated!

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum. Some (most) are sticklers regarding the RULES.

We can discuss Maxi balls and hunters. If i were you i would post them in the classifieds section, I'm sure someone would be interested in them. Or maybe someone will wanna swap you some 50 cals for your 45's.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Sorry about that...didn't mean to offend anyone and would happily delete the thread if I could figure out how.

No worries. It's just the standard heads up. Congrats on the big score of maxis.
I have a TC .45 Hawken and they're crazy accurate. Buy another rifle. Its the law! No lead must go unfired. 😀

No offense taken, it happens daily. I'm thinking of having a rubber stamp made.

I’ve put roundballs, conicals, and even buckshot in those plastic unmentionables doing experiments. It’ll all go down range when you pull the trigger. Won’t hurt a thing but whether you hit what you’re shooting at is debatable.

Just a thought on the plastic things. Checked a few places and they seem to cost around $0.18 a piece. 45 caliber Maxiballs are about 28 to a pound (245 grains each). That’s $5.14 (28 x $0.18) to shoot $3 worth of raw lead. TOW sells 45 caliber Maxiballs for nearly $0.50 a piece ($9.59/20).....

Forum Rule 9: We do not discuss copper and/or jacketed, plastic/polymer tipped bullets, sabots, power belts, or other 'plastic-wrapped' bullets. Smoothbores using plastic wads and steel shot are an exception to this rule.

Back