• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 conical through 1-66 twist?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I posted this on the flintlock thread but in case someone does not go there, here is the question again.

Does anyone have experience shooting conicals through 1-66 twist barrels? I drew a doe tag in Colorado and their regs are screwy. They state that .40 cal to .50 cal ML are legal as long as the projectile weighs 170 grains. A .45 RB only weighs 143 grains.

Its Discrimination I tell you!!! :cursing:

If I can get one to shoot good I will use one, if not I will just use my .54, any thoughts?

You will need a short fat conical to shoot out of a 45 w/ 1-66 twist and even that may not always shoot great but possibly good enough for minute of deer. I shot Lee 200 gr. REALs out of my CVA 45 Kentucky. They didn't shoot bad but like one out of 3 would be a flier, kind of like it was on the edge of stability. Even the one flier though wasn't real bad and could take out a deer at less than 100y. The Lee REALs come in two sizes in each caliber. I was using the smaller one.

A long time ago I tried some .45cal 285 grain hollow base bullets made by the Buffalo Bullet Company in a 1-66 twist CVA barrel. Best groups I remember getting were probably 3 or 4" at about 50yds. I considered that ok for close range deer hunting but never used them because inside 50yds where I get almost all of my shots round balls work just fine. I could see nothing to gain by using them expensive bullets. I did this test so long ago I can`t remember what I used for a powder charge or anything.
If I were you I`d get a couple different kinds of bullets and do some experimenting. You might find something that will work to your satisfaction. I don`t know at what range you expect to be shooting but if you want to use a .45cal at much over 50yds or so I think you should be shooting something heavier than a PRB.

I could send you some of the 200 gr REALs to try if you like. About 20 years ago I was in the same situation in UT. Not sure if they changed but back then 45 cal was the most common in BP and I didn't have the money to order a new gun. Years latter I wanted to scale down to 45 or smaller after acquiring several guns 50 or larger and had a hard time finding 45 as now 50 is the most common. Funny how things change.

Back