• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 for bear?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's not you will find out real quick! I imagine a well placed shot would work. I would rather have a .58.

Well it must be legal for a reason and I'm sure people have taken bears with the .45. Personally I would prefer a bigger ball but I also know in the right hands one well placed shot is all you need. Hell, Shine just took one with a .50 no problem and a .45 probably would have done the same with the same shot.

Would anyone question weather a .45-70 was big enough for a black bear? On a grizz I would be nervous but for a black bear I wouldn't be scared of shooting one with a .36, blackies kill quite easy! One well placed shot is all you need!

War Hawk said:
Would anyone question weather a .45-70 was big enough for a black bear? On a grizz I would be nervous but for a black bear I wouldn't be scared of shooting one with a .36, blackies kill quite easy! One well placed shot is all you need!

Anyone who thinks a 36 is enough gun for bear needs to stop hunting with his computer and get out in the woods more. Yes bears do kill easy, but please use enough gun to do the job properly. Bear fat is well known for closing wounds up and leaving little blood to follow.

I agree with Rat T., a good friend of mine is a well seasoned bear guide in Maine and he has spent a lot of time tracking black bears for his clients even after they were shot well because the fat plugs up the hole, just last week he was doing the hands and knees track job on a nice bear, went 150 yards and never left a single drop of blood after the initial hit.....BTW, 150 yards in thick Maine bear country is a lot longer than it sounds..thick? did I say thick?

The The Maine Sportsman,hunting magazine, might bring that statement in question????? "easy to kill"
There is a Maine Bear Guide who is healing up as we read,the black bear that was shot didnt die easly,got upset at being shot and "talked" it over with the guide.Turned out to be a tie,guide got bit,bear got shot, somemore, by the other hunter,OH modern rifles were the fire power used.
You can use what ever weapon you chose,,if it's big enough,,,no problem,,if not ,,well you can talk it over with the bear.Claws on all fours,teeth top and bottom and a preditator that eats meat.....and you just upset it.

You are not going to kill it if you don't hit it well. I have killed 15 bear counting last week. I had one go 25 yards. I shot it with a 3006. Most died on or near where they were hit. One died in gramps barn i shot it with my grandmothers 22 magnum. It was the closest gun I had when I was walking in with the trash gram kept it by the door:shocked2: I shot it behind the ear while its head was in the trash can. :shocked2: Bottom line is shot at a spot on the bear not the whole side of a bear. A 45 loaded with 65 or 70 grs of powder is good if you are and can keep your cool.

Agree 100%,, the operative word is "IF" The Maine Sportsman August 2012 pg 41 "Mauled by a Bear." www.mainesportsman.com dont know if you have to sign up to read this site or not.
Thinking the bear has thick fur,thick fat,big bones and will take some punishment from time to time 36 appears a little light for my likings,,30/06 is more my liking.

Last edited by a moderator:
A small one, maybe. Best carry one of those 16" blade bowies as well, just in case.

Most of my bears were with a 50 lb recurve and 110gr broadhead. it only took 1 arrow with proper shot placement. same with the .45 just practice with it til you're confident and make your shot count

Speaking of the 45/70 that is the "cap" "primer" that is used to set off the 900 lbs of powder that pushes the 16", 2200 lbs shell, 20 miles, down range from the 16" guns on the Battleships.
My father was a 16"Gun Mount Captain on BB64 starboard side forward. :eek:ff sort of!!!!!

Back