• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 for bear?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sperit de bois said:
The The Maine Sportsman,hunting magazine, might bring that statement in question????? "easy to kill"
There is a Maine Bear Guide who is healing up as we read,the black bear that was shot didnt die easly,got upset at being shot and "talked" it over with the guide.Turned out to be a tie,guide got bit,bear got shot, somemore, by the other hunter,OH modern rifles were the fire power used.
You can use what ever weapon you chose,,if it's big enough,,,no problem,,if not ,,well you can talk it over with the bear.Claws on all fours,teeth top and bottom and a preditator that eats meat.....and you just upset it.

We had a similar incident where I live just about three years ago. I think a .45 would be just fine on bear. A .62 won't even do it if the shot is bad.

Rat Trapper said:
War Hawk said:
Would anyone question weather a .45-70 was big enough for a black bear? On a grizz I would be nervous but for a black bear I wouldn't be scared of shooting one with a .36, blackies kill quite easy! One well placed shot is all you need!

Anyone who thinks a 36 is enough gun for bear needs to stop hunting with his computer and get out in the woods more. Yes bears do kill easy, but please use enough gun to do the job properly. Bear fat is well known for closing wounds up and leaving little blood to follow.

I have been a moose and black bear guide for a few years, I have shot many black bears myself and even though I have been charged twice by blacks and once by a grizz(none of them wounded)and was almost ambushed by a black that someone else wounded I would not be scared to hunt one with a .45! Maybe the bears in central Wis. are just scarier than a cranky grizz. I have known several local farmers to kill blackies with a .22lr and none got chewed on! One well placed shot! Bella Twin shot one of the biggest grizz ever taken in Alberta with a .22(it was do or die), she was 13! Good thing she wasn't facing a central Wis. black bear! I am not new to hunting nor am I afraid of black bears!
P.S. I didn't say I would go hunting one with a .36, I said I wouldn't be scared to use one if that is what was in my hands!!!

You must be one hellofabig guy to not be afraid of a black bear can do. I have been charged my a bear about 200 pounds. I can tell you that a 200 pound black can kill a human. I respect what they are and what they are capable of doing. I would use my 45 but mine shoots a 409 gr bullet. Ron

Cliff divers around here are not afraid to jump. Every once and a while one ends up dead. :idunno:
Ron

Stumpkiller said:
Do like James Beckwourth.

Blast 'em with the rifle and then stand your ground with the rifleman's knife.

Talk about a tale to tell your grandkids! "....that's right, little Johnny, just me and the bear, mano a mano". :v:

Idaho Ron said:
Cliff divers around here are not afraid to jump. Every once and a while one ends up dead. :idunno:
Ron

Pedestrians around here every once in awhile get hit by cars does that mean we stop crossing the streets? :slap:

if ur rifle willoot maxie ball say 250 gr or larger it should have no problem. withworth
voloneer rifles shoot a 475 gr 451 cal. and have dropped buffalo and brown bear.

[/quote]

Pedestrians around here every once in awhile get hit by cars does that mean we stop crossing the streets? :slap: [/quote]

No; but it does mean you should aim for a liberal. :rotf:

Rev_William said:
Idaho Ron said:
Ron

Pedestrians around here every once in awhile get hit by cars does that mean we stop crossing the streets? :slap:

No, what that does mean is you respect what can happen and act accordingly. Ron

Pedestrians around here every once in awhile get hit by cars does that mean we stop crossing the streets? :slap: [/quote]

No; but it does mean you should aim for a liberal. :rotf:
[/quote]

Aiming at a liberal is extra points. :rotf: :rotf: Ron

cynthialee said:
HEY now!
I am a liberal. (granted I am an odd gun toteing one but it is what it is...)

For that I am truly sorry. You can be treated for that, and a cure is possible. :hatsoff:
Ron

Idaho Ron said:
Rev_William said:
Idaho Ron said:
Ron

No, what that does mean is you respect what can happen and act accordingly. Ron

No where was it stated he didn't respect what the bear could do just that he wasn't afraid of it. Same here I lived outside Yellowstone park for 5 yrs. I saw a lot of bears black and grizzly. I hunted a lot of black bears, bows mostly and by myself most of the time. I had a friend who was mauled by a moma griz, in 30 sec she caused enough damage that he had to get 147 stiches on his scalp and about 200 something on his abdomen, when he came to he walked out drove himself home showered and bandaged himself up so he wouldn't freak his mom out so she could drive him to the hospital in Ennis, MT about 90 mi away. Kinda hard not to respect what they can do. I just figure it's the risk you take to stay on top of the food chain.

Rev your right he didn't say that he doesn't respect the animal and I didn't say that he didn't respect the animal. SO out of respect for the forum I will leave it at that. Ron

Until you DO get cured, keep a sharp eye out just in case - secret info: liberals aren't real liberal; if they were they would acknowledge that power comes from the people and goes up; it doesn't come down from above. :thumbsup:

I agree with rat trapper, ball placement, ball placementand ball placement.Bear are easy to kill double lung or head shots.
Boone killed hundreds with 38 cal balls.I have a bunch under my belt and would have no problem using a small caliber. By the way when you shoot a bear they don't come ask why you shot them, they speed off. The exceptions are of course head, neck and spine shots.
In Maine bear in traps were usually dispatched with .22 cal rimfires, behind the ear.
I live in the woods!
Nit Wit

The problem with hitting a liberal is they are surrounded by lawyers and other assorted meatbags so they come out smelling good. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The problem with hunting ANY wild game is people forget that the animals are WILD.

I hunted grizzly once with a bow. The other guy shot one and missed the mark and she came at me. (I was not moving and he was a white streak of scared idiot. :surrender: )

Thank GOD and the US Army for being an expert at pistol. 7 shots (two bounced off her skull) from a 1911 and three from the guides .44 and she dropped 10 feet from us.

The response is always 'So....did you poop yer britches?'
answer....NO, your sphincter is too tight and will be for a week!

Does not matter the caliber, just make room for 'MURPHY'.

MY humble opinion, DonK

Back