• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 Investarm Half Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A question came up in another thread about Investarm making a .45 bore rifle.
This 1977 half stock percussion rifle with 28" barrel has a 48" twist. The relatively narrow lands and grooves are an unusual configuration for a muzzleloader compared to what's typically turned out nowadays. .451" sized bullets are a snug fit for the bore. The white stuff in the LED lighting is the rotary cut on the .451" bore and the cleaning patch fuzz sticking to it. It's never been broke in yet. This might make a jim dandy minie gun once it's slicked up.

11.jpg

22.jpg

It was anticipated that paper patched hollow base bullets sized .451" would not be loose enough in their bore fit. But you know I had to try it just to make certain. Yep, they will pass into the muzzle of a pristine clean bore but nope, not good for shooting. Have to dig around and see if there's a .449" or .450" sizer around here.

I have one of those built from a kit I bought from Cabelas back around 1990 for $129. My bore is multiple grooved like that and shoots .440 RB very well. It also does a good job with Lee 200gr REAL bullets. Mine is my favorite muzzle loading rifle.

When I worked at the Mobile Home factory I would get the 2x6 floor joist cut offs that were about 5" long and paint them orange. My bud and I would set them up at 90 yards against a rock wall and shoot them to pieces. Then we would shoot the pieces to pieces. All off hand. He has the same gun but mine has a much better looking stock.

I have no idea how many shots I have fired from that gun but its well over a thousand and the bore looks great. But I'm picky about cleaning my guns.

Gtrubicon that looks great. I have never seen a stock like that on this model of gun. Thats not the normal Patch Box or Nose cap. If you added those you did a really nice job and the stock looks fantastic.

Gtrubicon that looks great. I have never seen a stock like that on this model of gun. Thats not the normal Patch Box or Nose cap. If you added those you did a really nice job and the stock looks fantastic.
Thanks! I changed a lot on this rifle, I posted a bunch of pictures as I was doing it in the What Muzzleloading Stuff did you do today thread.

Attachments

• IMG_6595.jpeg
    IMG_6595.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6592.jpeg
    IMG_6592.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6596.jpeg
    IMG_6596.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6604.jpeg
    IMG_6604.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6630.jpeg
    IMG_6630.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6633.jpeg
    IMG_6633.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I tried to find your post but am not sure where to look. Can you post a link please? I really want to see what you did and how you did it.

I tried to find your post but am not sure where to look. Can you post a link please? I really want to see what you did and how you did it.
I don’t know how to post a link, it was several different posts with pictures as I progressed through the project.

Here’s mine that I just gave a facelift.
I'm assembling an old (1980) CVA similar .50 rifle. It was as- new in box but someone had done sterling work prepping the wood for the parts fitting. I got some spray oil-based Valspar stain to do the birch stock, carbon gray, I think it's called, and after 2 coats, (wiping between coats; it's a stain!) it looks great! Your rifle has an great, over-all "gray" look to it, which is very nice. My CVA has all gray metal, the dull, antique look you get when treating metal with Naval Jelly. I call it "Gray Ghost". Your rifle looks really nice, I had to comment! Good luck! I did spray a "dead flat:thumb:" clear over the stock, a Rust-Oleum clear.

I have it bailing wired together!

That sounds like a traditional repair from way back when. Lol.

Here is another modified rifle repaired the Old Way with rawhide and a steel plate around the lock plate. I found this on the BP section over on thehighroad forum but don't remember the posters name. But the repairs look like something that would have been done a couple of centuries ago by someone who couldn't afford a new gun so found a way to keep their old gun going. IIRC this is a Uberti Hawken.

Attachments

• Hawken 1.JPG
    Hawken 1.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Hawken 2.JPG
    Hawken 2.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Hawken 3.JPG
    Hawken 3.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Hawken 4.JPG
    Hawken 4.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Hawken 5.JPG
    Hawken 5.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 0
That sounds like a traditional repair from way back when. Lol.

Here is another modified rifle repaired the Old Way with rawhide and a steel plate around the lock plate. I found this on the BP section over on thehighroad forum but don't remember the posters name. But the repairs look like something that would have been done a couple of centuries ago by someone who couldn't afford a new gun so found a way to keep their old gun going. IIRC this is a Uberti Hawken.
I’ve never seen one done up like that, looks like leather shrink wrap.

I’ve never seen one done up like that, looks like leather shrink wrap.

A lot of old Kentucky rifles had rawhide on the wrist because they broke easily because they were thin. Swatting Injuns with the stock of gun was rough on them. Thats why those old Muskets and other military arms had such thick wrist on them so you could grab them by the barrel and club your enemy. And that was true all the way through WWII. You could use your rifle to shoot, stab and club. And steel buttplates for smashing skulls.

A lot of old Kentucky rifles had rawhide on the wrist because they broke easily because they were thin. Swatting Injuns with the stock of gun was rough on them. Thats why those old Muskets and other military arms had such thick wrist on them so you could grab them by the barrel and club your enemy. And that was true all the way through WWII. You could use your rifle to shoot, stab and club. And steel buttplates for smashing skulls.
Not just WWII. --- My dad was a veteran of the Korean War. Many times, the Americans were overrun by Chinese and North Korean forces. Dad told me in one battle there were 2,000 enemy soldiers against 160 Americans. The Americans ran out of ammunition and had to fight hand to hand. Dad told me that even when it was out of ammo an M1 Garand made a darn good club. (By the way, by the time reinforcements arrived and drove the enemy back there were only 16 Americans still in the fight. My dad was one of them.)

Back