• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 Pedersoli

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickjf

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a nice .45 rifle I wonder does it have a place it seems to small for large game i.e. deer and to large for small game rabbits and squirrel. Any recommendations or advise? I woder about selling this and moving to a .50 and a .32
100_1707.jpg

with a well placed shot the 45 can take game up to whitetail size n down to squirrel. For the smaller game like tree rats, you can head shoot them and its good for coyotae n other varmit sized game. For deer just make sure of yer distance n shot placement. Don't try n make the caliber do something its not designed for. I have a 45 pedersoli I bought in 1971 or 2 and love it, even converted it from percussion to flint, right now I'm redoing the stock n barrel. The only other thing is make sure its a legal caliber to use in your area, some blackpowder rules n regs get a little weird in places

I may convert to flint. I do have to occasionly shoot skunks or coons. I will convert before deciding to sell. These sure don't retain value new cost over $500

There's no doubt it's a useless rifle what with being that .45 caliber and all. Just wasting your time and effort trying to sell it. I'll PM you my address and you can just ship it off to me. You pay postage of course! :wink:

Marmotslayer you are so kind to be so helpful. :bow:
the .45 will do a job on jackrabbits

Took my first BP deer with a .45 so I might be a lil biased, but yes you should be conscious of your range and placement. From what I hear, and from what I've seen on tv (you can always believe it right?) the deer down in Texas usually don't get as big in the body as they do in the Midwest (but you guys get bigger antlers). I would feel confident with a .45 down there, I do in Nebraska :v

I like to think of guns like golf clubs, you need a bunch of different ones for different types of shots. I would keep the .45 and get another in a different caliber (which ever one you might need sooner) and pick and choose.

now newhunter I got first dibs :blah: if yer gonna be sending that ol piece a iron cross country somewheres :rotf: I DID answer first n heck I can always use it fer parts :thumbsup:you will pay postage though right? :wink:

and not to rub salt in a wound :slap: but I picked mine up(exact same gun) fer less then $100(new) back then, yer right the prices have definately been climbing :cursing: the last few years.

Nice gun, I have a Pensylvania .45,and it was good ,so far, for squirrels up to deer.I want to take a bear with it too.
Load ranges from 15 grains and PRB,to special shot loads that DO NOT show the mithycal empty center(have same efect as a modern 410),to 90 grains fff and 285 grains holow point slugs.Twist is 1 in 48 and grouping at 100 yds is around 2" with slugs. I hit a coffee cup 4 out of 5 times at the range last time(slugs).
My every day load is 30 grains and PRB.
Many can desagree with me, but I find no need for a 50 cal.If a 285 grains slug on top of 90 grains cannot do it,I think a 50 is still too small.
That is the reason why I got a Bess.Yes, I know , your range is very limited, but I can't think of any northamerican game that cannot be brought donw with a 75 cal RB.

I would not hesitate to use a .45 for an all around gun as long as deer were the largest game I would be hunting, ( I had one that looked a lot like the one in your post that was from Navy arms that I dropped a .40 GM barrel in because the original barrel never saw a cleaning patch and the price was $50 so I could not pass on it) that(.45) is the only caliber of guns I had for about a five year stretch, several guns but all the same cal..... but at times the thought of more guns is a very nice thought, till you find the "right" one..I have found it several times (VBG)

What would be a "squirrel rabbit" load which I guess would be a minimum load. Would 20 grs. of FF work?

I used 30 gr 3f for squirrels and plinking, 60 gr.for deer

I use 15 grains and PRB for squirrels.I also use premade shot shells that fit just so in the barrel as to not fall/move in the barrel but lose enough not to take the rifling.30 grains of fff and 50 grains (by volume)of shot. Same patern as a .410 shotgun.Good up to 25 yds no more,but fun. :wink:

Is your rifle similar to the Dixie Pennsylvania Rifle (stock number PF1070), made by Pedersoli and sold by Dixie Gun Works? If it is, I may be able to give you a bit of advice to consider prior to your deciding to convert that rifle to a flinter.

I have the flint version of the above-mentioned rifle. While it is an accurate shooter, the locks made by Pedersoli were definitely not made to the standards of our American lockmakers such as Jim Chambers, L&R, etcetera. In addition, the size of the Pedersoli lock is, shall we say, unique. I have thus far been unable to find even a close-size replacement for mine. Why do I want to replace it? Well, for starters, the thing has a real hearty appetite for flints. Absolutely loves 'em. It will eat a flint in 10 shots or less. My best record is 22 (that was one time only) on a single flint. Reknapping the edge is usually good for only 3 or 4 more shots. I've sent the lock to a noted authority to see if the geometry could be improved. He told me that there was nothing he could do with it, and that Pedersoli makes the locks to sell, not necessarily to last for the long haul. In addition, the Pedersoli flint locks are MUCH more expensive than domestic American-made flint locks. I wish some American company made a lock I could fit to my rifle. I'd buy it in a flash - no pun intended.

Please don't take this as trashing the manufacturer. This is not my intention. They just don't put as good a quality FLINTlock on their rifles as they could. My rifle DOES have fast ignition, and is very accurate with 65 grains of GOEX 3fg, a .440 cast ball, .015 pillow-ticking patch and water-based lube. I've rarely had it fail to fire if the flint strikes enough sparks to ignite the pan powder. The rifle looks good, feels good, and handles well.

The long and short of the above bloviation is that you may wish to consider selling your rifle and than buying a good-quality flinter. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck and MANY years of enjoyment.

I’ve had my .45 Pendersoli Frontier rifle for a year or so now and have killed small game, including turkeys with it- have not yet used it to bring down a deer. I feel confident that it would do the job as far as power is concerned. Shots in these VA woods are generally fairly close

I would concur with some above statements about the lock, however. It’s almost scary how hard it is on flints- It does ignite pretty fast.

I have been considering a Siler Lock from "Track" that has large uncut plate and fit it to this rifle. It is the Dixie Pedersoli Penn. Rifle. The locks are expensive. I was also considering getting flint lock plate,frizzen and parts from this lock and make a complete flint lock for much less.

Regarding the Siler lock with uncut plate, see if you can get some measurements from Track and then compare them to your existing lock. Should you decide to convert to flint, you will need to know, among other things, the exact measurement from the sear bar to the center of the pan to ensure proper lock positioning in relation to the vent hole.

I went through the futile exercise of trying to find a quality replacement for my lock. I was told by a couple of different lock makers that Pedersoli makes an odd-sized lock that can't be matched by over-the-counter American locks. I wish you success in your endeavor. If things work out for you, please let us know. I for one will be very interested in seeing if I can do the same.

Back