• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 prb loAd for whitetails?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbow

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a mule ear 45 that is deadly accurate with 40 grains of Pyrodex. Our Vermont deer can weigh up to 250 on the hoof but probably average 150. Is the 40 grain charge enough? What do you guys use in a 45?

elbow said:
Is the 40 grain charge enough?
Setting aside the comments that usually come up about deer occasionally being killed with .22 Long Rifle ammo, I personally use 30-40grns Goex 3F in my .45cal Flintlock as a squirrel load....definitely not something I'd consider a deer load.
90grns Goex 3F is the powder charge I use in my .45cal for deer in North Carolina, and their average weight is nowhere near 250 lbs.

A deer makes a big target, step up your charge and see how much accuracy you lose.
Remember the average deer has heart/lung kill zone about 10 inches in diameter.....a paper plate is 9 inches.

According to that mathematical formula that was mentioned about a week ago in a thread in a different section, the "optimum, most efficient" load from my 42" barreled .45 flintlock is 77gr. of whatever granulation powder you're using.

If I remember the formula it was: Pi (3.14) x bore radius squared x barrel length x 11.5 ... this is the most efficient load, supposedly, not the deadliest load.

This is only repeating what I read. I don't have a degree in Physics to confirm it. :idunno:

My rifle has a.444 Bill Large barrel with about 50K rounds through it according to the friend who gave it to me. I shoot a .445 ball and .18 patch pushed by 70gr of 3F for deer and have killed a pile of them with the gun. They all went about 50yards after the shot and took a dirt nap.

When I told my friend I was shooting a .445 ball he said" how do you get it down the bore". Actually pretty easily, I think the bore has enlarged slightly over time with so many rounds put through it. My friend said he put a pound of powder a week through the gun when he was at his peak, he was only shooting 40-50 grains for targets.

The "sweet spot" for my .45 is a .440 ball, 70gr of 3F, and a .015 patch. The local deer don't like the load but I do! I shot from 40gr thru 85gr but my barrel liked 70gr the best, and that's what I shoot. Yours may be different. Start at 50 and go up 5grs at a time till you find what your barrel likes best. Good Luck..... :stir:

I have a Thompson Center Hawken 45 that shoots best at 60 grains 3f. 440 round ball. I have also taken Iowa Whitetails with that gun using 190 grain Maxi Hunters and 240 grain Maxi Balls. They all work well out of that gun! Greg

In my state there's a minimum powder charge of 50 grains for muzzleloaders. I've killed a "heap" of deer with my flint .45 using 80 grains of 3F. Since then I've also settled on 70 grains with a .440" ball (.445" loads and shoots the same) and a .024" ticking patch.

The .45 underhammer (retired) liked 60 - 65 grains 3F, .440" ball and .016" patch. The side lock percussion likes a .440" ball, 60 grains of 3F and a .024" patch. All three have my confidence while in the deer woods.

My TC Hawken likes 70 grains of Triple Seven 2f with a Hornady .440 ball. I shot one deer with this load and it did the job. Since the Triple Seven is hotter than Goex it is somewhere near 80 grains of black powder.

Our Arkansas deer seldom get that big. I use 65 gr. real bp quite successfully. For the biggies, I might be tempted to step that up to about 75 gr. Stay with soft lead in yer round ball.

It seems to me that with a PRB of .440 caliber, shot placement is EVERYTHING (as you're NOT shooting a heavy caliber rifle), so ANY load that is ACCURATE & will PASS THROUGH a WT's chest is the RIGHT sort of load. - I couldn't say what that amount of BP is.

just my opinion, satx

Something between 50gr and 70gr would be more appropriate. I use 70gr for my deer load. I'd use 60gr if it grouped as well as my 70gr load.

Some 45 cal guns can be pretty lightweight.

IF this is the case, I'd move up to 60 grains only if you are flinch sensitive.

If you cast your own bullets, and even if you don't, you still might want to be careful of the lead hardness. Too hard and it doesn't expand. Too soft and it might not get into the vitals well enough if it hits bone.

If going past 75 grains, I'd stick with FFg.

60 grains of FFFg will produce about the same velocity as 75 grains of FFg more or less.

Whats the barrel length on the gun. Also, how old is the gun and if its old enough, do you see a seam on the barrel. Might not want to push thing too much possibly.

Back