• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 rifles...?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulN/KS

58 Cal.
Reaction score
While checking out the ads,both here and elsewhere,I noticed that there are not a lot of .45 rifles around these days. I'd guess that it's due to that caliber being not always big enough for deer but too big for small game... :hmm:
What do you other folks think?
And any .45 shooters chime in with the pros and cons please...

For me its perfect for GA. Just big enough cal. for deer here, and I can load it down and use it for squirrels. They sort of fell out of favor, but I think the .45 will make a comeback.

I have one I built off a used Euroarms barrel. Back in the day (70's)when all the repros were hitting the stores, the .45 seemed to be the most common. Among the custom guns at our club there is a wide variety of calibers but most of the manufactured rifles are .50. I don't know if customer demand fueled this trend or Industry just marketed in that direction. Interestingly, Traditions only imports .50 cal here in the states and only .45 in the U.K.( I believe that is the legal mandate there). If you read the hunting forum, people with .45's claim no difficulty taking deer with them.

45s.

These are personal opinions and will seem to bother/irritate some.

To me a 45 is a bit overkill for squirrels. I like the crack sound of a 36 cal., but a 45 will work with reduced loads.

Deer come in many sizes, to me again the 45 is on the light side, I prefer a 50 or 54.

Hogs, the 45 is not what I want when hunting hogs, they realistically go from foot ball size to abouit 225 pounds. On the upper end of the scale of hogs, a 45 is a bit light.

To me where the 45 shines is an all around fun gun, easy to clean, easy on lead consumption, easy on powder, light on recoil.

Step up to the line in paper shoot and this is where the 45 comes to life, it's a winner. The 45 bucks the wind better than a 40 cal, easy on the shoulder and conserves money.

The 45 to me is an all-around caliber, easy on the menfolk and women, and it's a good kids gun.

If I had to own only one rifle/pistol, it would be a 45, no doubt.

RDE

Ghettogun said:
Traditions only imports .50 cal here in the states and only .45 in the U.K.( I believe that is the legal mandate there).
I don't know what legal mandate that would be. There's certainly no problem with owning rifles of larger bores.

David

There is nothing legal about a .45. Not only Traditions, but Lyman Great Plains Rifle can be had in .45 in Eroupe, but only .50 and .54 here in the US. Pedesolis in a .45 can be had in many models. Just check Cabela's and Dixie. I have a .45 Pedersoli Blue Ridge flinter that is just at home on the firing line as it is in the hunting field. A .45 is just fine on deer size game. Most states include the .45 for hunting large game. I think they are a great all round rifle :thumbsup: .

I'm with Richard. For deer, I prefer a little larger caliber, and for squirrel, I prefer a bit smaller. I know the .45 takes deer all the time, but when it comes to personal preference, logic doesn't always matter! :rotf:

For me, .45 is an ideal target caliber though. Low recoil, cheap to shoot and a great way to introduce new shooters to the sport. It's especially nice having a muzzleloading pistol in the same caliber.

Actually, here in Wis. a .40 caliber rifle is legal for deer. To me, that is a little on the light side; I mean, you have to be very precise in placing your shot. My first M/Ler was a 45 and the only smaller one that I have now is a .32 mountain rifle. That .45 of mine was/is a tack driver and as others have stated, they are "fuel efficient". Emery

In Germany and I think rest of Europe the .45 is the most common ML cal. We even won't get any other cal. without difficulties because all bigger cal. ML are shipped to you guys overthere. So if I want one I have to ask Roy to built me one or order at the log Cabin Shop to reship one here to Bavaria. :wink:

Regards

Kirrmeister

I believe that lyman,traditions and such only import 50s and 54s as thats the most popular. Not many of the modern muzzleloaders are offered in 45 these days.

Over quite a number of years now I've gradually accumulated a number of muzzleloaders in different calibers and gauges...but 4 of them are .45's...just love that caliber for a lot of the reasons already mentioned, like excellent economy, excellent accuracy, low recoil.

The longest shot I've killed a deer with one was only 60yds but he fell in sight of me, as they all have from heart shots. I've killed squirrels with a throttled back 40grn powder charge, plus a doe and a 5 pointer with that light squirrel load while sitting for squirrels...so that throttled back load will take any small game and/or varmints right up to deer.

Personally though, I don't consider it a strong 100yd caliber...and I'm certain the .45cal has taken deer at 100 yds and probably further...but if I was leaving the house to deer hunt where 100yd shots might be pretty normal I'd reach for something bigger if I had the choice for those long distance shots.

IMO, a huge benefit of the .45cal over a .32/.36 is its overall flexibility...the tiny ones can't do the bigger stuff like the .45cal can...I consider them much more of a specialty caliber with limitations

I picked up a .45 TC Hawken this last summer. It is 1" shorter than my .50 TC Hawken. It "feels" better, seems handier and is my most accurate sidelock!! Drives tacks at 50m w 70gr 3f goex and a 240gr maxiball!! Haven't shot any farther, but I have no reason to believe 75 to 80 yds would be no problem w/that load!

thumper50 said:
I picked up a .45 TC Hawken this last summer. It is 1" shorter than my .50 TC Hawken. It "feels" better, seems handier and is my most accurate sidelock!! Drives tacks at 50m w 70gr 3f goex and a 240gr maxiball!! Haven't shot any farther, but I have no reason to believe 75 to 80 yds would be no problem w/that load!
Completely agree and I realize I need to clarify my statement about not personally considering the .45cal a strong 100yd caliber...I meant with the somewhat light 128grn patched ball, not conicals.

TC's 255grn maxi-hunters are tack drivers in their 1:48" barrels, as are Hornady's 285grn Great Plains bullets...any accurate conicals like those easily make the .45cal a 125yd deer rifle

Can't add a thing technically to what the others have written, but I will say that my .45 flintlock rifle is the only gun I've kept since the mid '70's. It's been my favorite, and I'm sure it will remain my favorite. (Until our man Roy ships my new fowler, that is!)
:grin:

IMO, the .45 is highly underrated for deer sized game. I built this rocklock .45 back in early 1970s, it has taken a lot of muleys and goats. (antelope) On almost all animals taken, the ball went through the body and was found just under the hide opposite from entry.

1TWO.jpg

30 years ago .45 and .50 were the production cals, most available, the smaller bores fell from grace likely a carry over from the centerfire magnumitis, the .45 is a fine deer gun when used with good judgement.

All of the excellent comments and information are greatly appreciated... :thumbsup: I had a feeling that the .45 was an underated caliber these days.
Thanks for all the good info and keep it coming. :hatsoff:

After all this talk on this thread, I decided to take my 45cal TC Hawken off the sales market. I'm keeping her. :)

PaulN/KS said:
All of the excellent comments and information are greatly appreciated... :thumbsup: I had a feeling that the .45 was an underated caliber these days.
Thanks for all the good info and keep it coming. :hatsoff:

If I did my part, the .45 worked every time for me. Family took these one morning in Wyoming, although the biggest deer taken that day was by our 14 year old daughter with her little .54 percussion. :wink:

16.jpg

Μολών λαβέ

Latest posts

Back