• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 t/c hawken info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well the 15s looked ok, nice ring with dk lt smudges no tears. The 18s I wasn't certain they were mine looked ok no tears, the 20s res striped ticking from waly world was torn with little to no ring. Weird thing when loading, there seemed to be a snag down by the breach end @ 2-3 inches. I couldn't be real certain I wasn't squashing the charge but it felt like I had to push past a speed bump down there. Anyways I located a 45 GM drop in prb twist. So 150 for the gun, 200 for the barrel alittle spit shine and I have a potential TC Hawken heirloom. I'm not crying.

It sounds like a rust "ring " in the barrel, where someone left a damp PRB in the barrel, that rusted the barrel at that point. It also could be a bulge, but I doubt it. Work at it with a bore brush, and steel wool to see if you can't polish out the " bump". Sometimes, just leaving the barrel stand upright, with the nipple plugged, with the barrel full of water and soap, will dissolve these kinds of "rings". This is what occurs frequently when Pyrodex is used, BTW, instead of black powder. While I don't have any first hand experience with other substitute powders, reports here on the forum indicate other substitute powders also develop a "crud ring " in the barrel when used, and the barrel is not scrubbed clean quickly after use. I have used Pearl Drops Toothpaste on damp patches with my jag, to polish a rough spot in the bottom of my barrel on my .50, and over the years, it has slowly become smoother. I know it works, because the patches come out BLACK from my scrubbing. A small square of the 3M Green "scrubbies" can also be used with a jag to attack such crud rings. Some Bartender's Helper- a non-abrasive cleaner--- on the green scrubbie can be put to good use, too.

Latest posts

Back