• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

>45 TC Seneca

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumper50

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up a used .45 TC seneca. What loads do any of you, that have one of these use or reccomend a starting point. I was guessing around 40-50 grs 3f and a prb.
Thanks in advance!!

TC will send you a manual if you ask them. It will list all the recomended loads. You might be able to get it online.

Good luck

thumper50 said:
I just picked up a used .45 TC seneca. What loads do any of you, that have one of these use or reccomend a starting point. I was guessing around 40-50 grs 3f and a prb.
Thanks in advance!!
Manual says 50-90 Goex 2F, so I'd agree with you about 40grns 3F...that's what I'd use for a range / target / plinking load especially in that small light 13/16" barrel...I usually use 40grns Goex 3F like that in my 32" x 15/16" .45cal Hawken barrel

My favorite target load is a light 40 grains of FFFG. If I were to hunt with it, 70 grains of FFFG gives me good accuracy and power both. I use Ballistol lubed pillow ticking patches. It's a tackdriver!

You will still need to do your own load development to find out what works best in your particular gun though, as what works in one doesn't always work in others.

Killed a doe with mine last year.Used around 50grs of FFFg.Complete pass thru at 50yds.DON'T get power hungry with these little frame guns.You don't want a cracked stock.If you think you need more powder,get a reg. TC Hawkens in 45.It will handle 90grs.

I bought it just fo plinking, targets etc. If i can get it shootin good enough for squirrels etc I would be more than happy. I've got a .45 hawken, ,50 hawken ,.50 renegade and a white mtn carbine in .50 Plenty of deer rifles. It will probably end up for my grandson if luck is on my side!! Got anew nipple and patches coming, got lots of roundballs for it!!

Track of the wolf has them in stock. they are not 1/4-28 but they are 12/28 thread for Senecas and Cherokees. Look under Accessories on their (TOTW) website. Stainless steel and Ampco bronze are available

TC uses 70 grains of 2f when they test fire Seneca rifles. It work pretty good in the one I had. Traded the 45 barrel for a 36 barrel and I like that much better.

I just received two brand new nipples for my .36 Seneca directly from Thompson Center. I ordered them on the phone.

Back