• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

48 out of 50 head shots on squirrels this morning!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Had today off, went shooting the .40cal Flintlock squirrel rifle at first light...48 out of 50 head shots at 20 yards...and the 2 misses were so close they died of heart attacks !

(In case any GWs are reading this, the "head shots" were 1" target dots, not real squirrels)

This .40cal flinter is a good shooter !!

Roundball :

Glad to hear the the 48 out of 50 were paper squirrels , wouldn't want to think you were a game hog or outlaw or anything like that :wink:

Hey Roundball,

A guy in Alabama make me a .40 S. Mountain Flinter. First flinter I've owned and it's becoming addicting. The .40 is very accurate. I'm still working on sighting it in, groups tend to be one hole most of the time, just need to keep filing down the front sight. At 25m I started off with 40grs of fff.

roundball said:
48 out of 50 head shots at 20 yards...and the 2 misses were so close they died of heart attacks !

(In case any GWs are reading this, the "head shots" were 1" target dots, not real squirrels)

was thinking at first read "what a really nice bag limit ya got there" :rotf: us PA guys only have 6 a day and 12 field limit, what ever that means :confused: :v .........bob

Hold them targets ! I will stop by on Sunday for verification of the kills. Please have a paper squirrel license & also have all of the paper squirrels tagged & the tags filled out before removing them from the targets...... :bull:

Due to the current temperatures in the Carolinas, the disposition of all squirrel material had to be handled in a timely manner and were subsequently filed in the correct container by 9:30am...

Oh. yea......... NOW you file them.... AFTER you find out I am going to NC !! :rotf:
Oh you are a squirrely one............ :applause:

Those paper squirrels will probably taste just as good as the real ones. Well, at least in my book. I am not big on squirrel. :wink:

That's some pretty good shooting! You should be set for the upcoming season.

Yeah, and you were probably baiting them with those tempting styrofoam shipping peanuts. :rotf:

Bill

I love being married. It's so nice to have that someone special to annoy for the rest of your life!

volatpluvia said:
Roundball,
Those were all offhand shots, right? :wink: :blah: :shake: :shocked2: :v
volatpluvia
Not hardly...I stink at off hand...I do all my practice sitting in a chair, elbow braced down on my side/chest as if I was hunting, sitting on the ground against a tree...if you can do that shooting off hand, my hats off to you

roundball said:
Due to the current temperatures in the Carolinas, the disposition of all squirrel material had to be handled in a timely manner and were subsequently filed in the correct container by 9:30am...

When they rot, do they attract paper buzzards?
:hmm:

You had me going there! I thought this is one place I got to go see. Our season opens this coming Saturday. We had a late frost and the nut crop is spotty. Hope I get to see 50 squaks all season!

Agree....I'd like to see ANY squirrels...we've had a double hit from the weather here in North Carolina this year.

1) We had a very late freak killing freeze in the spring after buds blooming time;

2) We've had a record setting year for BOTH drought and high temperatures.

The result of all that is by and large all farm crops were completely lost by July, and there's not a single acorn on any of the white oaks on two farms I hunt...not a one on the ground and no one to be found up in the trees and that's checking with binocs.

Not good for deer, turkey, and squirrels this fall and winter

Yeah, but a 1" target dot won't rip ya' apart if you miss. :wink:

EvilSkewrl.jpg

Good shootin', though.

I if I saw a mad squirrel on steroids sitting up like that one, I'd probably take him out with a ball in the chest :grin:

IF THE SQUIRRELS ARE THAT BIG AND MEAN DO WHAT THEY INSTRUCT YOU IN SELF DEFENCE, 2 IN THE CHEST 1 IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Back