• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.495 with .015 patch?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ss1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What would be effect of using .495 rn ball [instead of .490] with .015 prelubed patch, other than it being very tight? 50 cal pc

That is what I use in my traditions panther. works the best for me. I bought the gun used and the bore was less than pristine so this combination seems to take up some of the slack.

may shoot better, may shoot worse. try it and see how it shoots. some bench shooters start the ball with a mallet.

If you don't have to hammer it down the barrel with a mallet, generally speaking the tighter the ball the more accurate and the higher the impact.
Any distortion to the front of the ball just royally screws up your accuracy. :hatsoff:

ss1 said:
What would be effect of using .495 rn ball [instead of .490] with .015 prelubed patch, other than it being very tight? 50 cal pc

A tighter fit will "grip" the rifling better through the patch, thus, better accuracy can be obtained, also it will seal the bore better as well, preventing gas blow by from the charge going off resulting in higher velocities and more power...

One has to choose a compromise between a tight fit and load-ability, it's a fine line to walk...

Other than making it hard to load, not much. I prefer a .485 ball, but I don't like casting my own. If a short starter is necessary, it's too tight.

One thing folks overlook is the fact that with a tight ball and patch, is the lube gets squeezed out of the patch. I have the best accuracy with a larger ball and a thinner patch that has been well lubed for a couple days. Both of my 50's shoot best with a .495 ball and .012 WELL WASHED denim patch.

I have tried this very process with a Green Mountain barrel, it loads very tight but workable. As others have pinted out, if you are sighted in w/ the .490, this will change your point of impact quit a bit, shooting high. You will have to adjust your sight picture to accomodate.

dud,
Funny, I have the best results with a smaller ball and thicker patch lubed weeks to months ahead.
Feel it gives a wider sealing ring between ball and bore (Kind of like a more compressed "o"-Ring). Thinking this seals better and more resistant to leakage (burnt/blown patch).
Anyways, works for me.

riarcher said:
dud,
Funny, I have the best results with a smaller ball and thicker patch lubed weeks to months ahead.
Feel it gives a wider sealing ring between ball and bore (Kind of like a more compressed "o"-Ring). Thinking this seals better and more resistant to leakage (burnt/blown patch).
Anyways, works for me.

FWIW, that's the approach I've settled on...for hunting loads more material & lube gives a better seal...I use nominal size balls (.440/.490/.530/.570) and thick/strong .018" pillow ticking patches.

But every now and then I'll stumble across a real steal on thinner .015" cotton patches on auction to use with light target / plinking loads at the range and they're very accurate for that

ss1 said:

SS1, you didn't say what your intended use is. Are you looking for maximum accuracy for target shooting, hunting??? For target shooting, you have the luxury of time. For hunting you may need a quick follow up shot.

I'm sure that if you let the forum members know, you'll have more answers than you can shake your ramrod at.

If you're not having problems using the .015 patch with the .490 ball don't worry about it. When the ball moves down the barrel with the hot gasses propelling it from the burning powder the back of the ball is accelerating faster than the front.This is known as obturation, and in fact, the ball gets wider and fills the the grooves more fully. Obturation is why undersized lead balls recovered after firing have riling marks on them. Listen, if your barrel had thousands of rounds fired through it and was coming close to needing a refreshing or you were a serious target shooter you're not going to need to concern yourself with a super tight fitting ball and patch. That .490 ball with .015 patch should do you just fine. If not, stick with the same size ball and go to thicker patch, although I don't think you'll need to.

I have a York county .50 from Cabin Creek, about ten years old, very plain gun (all I could afford), when I got it I loaded with the standard 490 ball and 15 thou patch. It got dirty VERY quickly and lost accuracy after a few shots. I called the maker and he said that barrel was rifled to use a 495 ball. I have used them ever since, with spit pillow ticking or a variety of prelubed stuff, all load well, not especially dirty, very accurate. I do use a sort starter and occasionally whack it with a mallet, but that is because I have carpal tunnel along with all the other geezer maladies, a regular person could just use the short starter. I do not have a coned muzzle (would love to, but dont know anybody who could do it for me) or I would dispense with the short starter. Good smoke, ron in fla

ronrryan, if that's what works for you, stick with it. Any of the 50's Ive ever dealt with did just fine with the 490 ball and 015 patch. As far as the excessive fouling, use non petroleum based solvents and lubricants and the bore will become seasoned much like a cast iron pan. This should take care of your excessive fouling problems.

Back