• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Copper canteen blu green oxidation inside

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve got a kidney shape, copper rev war canteen that I haven’t used in quite a long time… I rinsed it out, and then I took a penlight and put it inside the canteen and I saw all kinds of green blue oxidation inside… talked with a few guys from the gun club and they said that green blue stuff is poisonous… Is there anyway to salvage this canteen? Can it be cleaned out and can you drink water from it… Or will that stuff kill you and never go away… Help… I hate like hell to get rid of it but it sure beats pushing up daisies… Would a stainless steel canteen be better or a tin one be better? … would appreciate your comments and help.

I’ve got a kidney shape, copper rev war canteen that I haven’t used in quite a long time… I rinsed it out, and then I took a penlight and put it inside the canteen and I saw all kinds of green blue oxidation inside… talked with a few guys from the gun club and they said that green blue stuff is poisonous… Is there anyway to salvage this canteen? Can it be cleaned out and can you drink water from it… Or will that stuff kill you and never go away… Help… I hate like hell to get rid of it but it sure beats pushing up daisies… Would a stainless steel canteen be better or a tin one be better? … would appreciate your comments and help.

Let your wife drink from it for a week and see what happens

Clean it out it is a killer when cleaned out seal it with brewer's pitch or bees wax and use for water only you will be fine.

Personally, I would get the stainless steel one and paint the outside copper then you can put anything in it. ialso would use it for whisky, rum or whatever as I keep my plastic water supply in my pack.

Thanks guys for all your help… I’ll try and see if I can salvage this old copper canteen… If I can’t, I’ll buy a stainless steel one, but before I do that, and after I clean the copper one, I’ll offer a drink from it to my wife and see what happens within a week… Good idea on that one …. it might save me $100 on a stainless steel canteen.

Anything made of copper that you drink from should be tinned. Why would someone make a canteen out of copper without doing this? As someone said, brewer's wax would be an alternative.

Im not so sure its verdigris, like the reaction to acids in leather. If you look inside your copper water lines in your house they also have a blue green reaction inside them. Copper is considered to have a mild anti-microbial effect on water inside copper lines.

Back