• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4f for main charge in .36 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack Aubrey said:
Hello all.I have been around muzzle loading quite awhile so I'm not a newbie however this seems to be a question only a newbie might ask.Do you think it would be overly hazardous to use 4f powder as a main charge in a squirrel gun.I realize the finer the granulation the faster the burn rate and higher the pressures.In addition,a .36 calibre squirrel gun is more sensitive to pressure variations due to the limited space in the bore as opposed to say a .50 calibre.I was taught long ago that 4f was a priming powder,3f was for pistols and small bores up to about .40 calibre,2f for .45 cal. on up,and 2f or 1f for large bore muskets and such.However,it seems nothing is set in stone.I have seen guys fire 3f in a .58 calibre with no ill effects.I don't think 4f would be wise in anything larger than .36,what I mean is,I would not consider 80 grains of 4f in my Brown Bess,lol!What about in revolvers?A few months ago I would never have even contemplated this question.I have three pounds of 4f Goex just sitting around since I now prime with whatever I'm using for a main charge.Money being as tight as it is and the political climate darkening, I was wondering if I couldn't put this powder to good use squirrel hunting.Otherwise,I need to buy more 3f,and am having trouble finding it and this 4f is going to waste.Besides,I need the money to buy diapers for the baby.Just wondering what the consensus would be.I don't want to blow up a gun.Best regards,JA

See if you can trade the FFFFG to some flintlock shooter for FFFG.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello guys,Thanks for all the replies.I think the consensus is it would not be a good choice for a main charge.I'll just buy some more 3f soon,I still have a few pounds.I'll keep the 4f and use it up or if I do find someone to trade with then that will work as well.Thanks for the info Paul,I would like to find a shooting club nearby anyway so I'll be taking your lead on that.I haven't used 4f to prime in years.I have had good performance in my squirrel gun priming with 3f,would 4f speed up my ignition time,do you suppose?If so,I am not opposed to using it up.Best regards,JA

Pletch did some testing on ignition speeds for the different granules of powder, and found the difference in "speed " of ignition for 4Fg vs. 3Fg was measured in milliseconds. Its too small a difference for most people to hear, or notice, and its not enough to allow enough movement of a gun to throw a ball outside a scoring ring.

It was his data that has convinced most of us to use 3Fg powder for priming our guns, for all but the most serious of bench rest target shooting.

Latest posts

Back