• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 cal hawken for ELK?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only one I ever shot with a .50 was with a maxi ball over 70 gr ff at 130 yards. He stayed on his feet a bit long IMO. Luckily he miller around and wondered what was going on instead of hitting the black timber just a few yards away. In the time it took him to drop ye could have covered a 1/2 mile easy.

Anyway, I quit using maxis and went to round balls with better efect but I don't shoot that far any more either.

I feel better with a .54 but according to what guys are saying above the .50 and a round ball works :grin:

I use a 50 and have for years. I also used to use a 45 for deer. all my shooting is PRB only and I have never felt to under gunned. A freind and I did get some elk and they never went far. we both were using 50's at the time. (Boise forest out of Idaho City, Idaho) I find the biggest deal is knowing your gun, knowing your load and trusting both along with your self to take a good shot and pass up the questionable ones

Where is a good place to find a .54 barrel for the T/C? I wasn't sure that they were the same exterior dimensions.

nvstickbow said:
Where is a good place to find a .54 barrel for the T/C? I wasn't sure that they were the same exterior dimensions.

Well...you could call TC at 1-800-243-4570

They make two versions:

1" x 28" x 1:48", cap & flint

1" x 31" x 1:66", cap & flint

Do they sell the locks and any other hardware that I would need to convert it over to a flinter?

Back