• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 cal projectile choice for elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm using a TC hawken flintlock. 1:48 twist. There is a reasonable chance the shot could be as long as 100 yards.
I have PRB (180 grains) and 370 grain maxi balls made by october country.

I worry that the 180 prb might not be carrying enough energy that far out for an elk.

I agree with KentuckyWindage...of those two choices and the yardage in question, I'd personally use the larger projectile with a good head of steam...
Good luck !

Appreciate the replies. That was my bias, but I figured I'd ask!
I'm going on a hunt where I can take an elk cow and an axis doe on a 30000 acre ranch.
Shot on elk might be closer, but the axis will likely be more spooky and close to 100 yards...
Might use bullet for elk and prb for axis....
thoughts?

my basic outlook on ML hunting would cause me to use the PRB and get closer or go with a larger rifle, I have always prefered 75 yds as a max range for primitive open sights and the .50 ball works at that range, some use it out to 100yds but for me that was to far for both myself and the ball you really need to know your gun with trdaitional sights and and projectile at 100 yds and also know Elk their size is deceptive if one is used to hunting Deer.

Looking back I see that we are not talking traditional sights so that part does not apply.

getting closer is not always an option in the real hunting world.

Best option, go with a big enough gun to get the job done at short distances and long ranges.

yup, open sights. I'm not actually worried about being about hit where I want to hit. I'll have a stable rest and am an adequate shot.
I want to be sure the projectile will carry enough energy downrange to kill the animal.
370 looks like it. I might see how the 385 great plains bullets pattern as well..

PRB = Closer

Closer is good.

.54 is better yet.

To sum up my long post. Get a .54, get closer, and shoot a PRB.

Life will be good.

sar said:
yup, open sights. I'm not actually worried about being about hit where I want to hit. I'll have a stable rest and am an adequate shot.
I want to be sure the projectile will carry enough energy downrange to kill the animal.
370 looks like it. I might see how the 385 great plains bullets pattern as well..

Dont recommend the 385gr GP for elk. I used them on a mule deer and it didnt even make it into her second shoulder which surprised the hell out of me. Recovered bullet was the size of a 50 cent piece. Pure lead + HP isnt the best for elk size game.

I'll add a couple things that I learned back in the early 90's while experimenting with some conicals for a year or two out of T/C 1:48" barrels.
I concluded that while it was accurate, the .50cal/385grn Hornady GP bullets were just way too big, heavy, high recoil pushing them the way they need to be pushed (a lot of folks use too small of a powder charge then don't get the performance), and were very expensive.

If you have some flexibility and time to test, T/C's .50cal 275grn maxi-HUNTERS (not maxi-balls) were extremely accurate and devastating on deer with 100grns Goex 2F and a .50cal Oxyoke prelubed over-powder wad.

I my self use a cast 380 grain real bullet and 90 gns of 777 FFFg in my .54 as my elk load. it puts elk down fast. my longest shot on a elk was 50-60 yards. put that 500 pound cow down hard.

"getting closer is not always an option in the real hunting world."

The real hunting world? OK, when getting closer is not an option not taking the shot is always an option, I am just looking at this post from the Traditional ML hunting perspective, probably "my bad!" I will let you folks with a better grasp of the "real hunting world" continue. as we are probably not on the same page here, which is fine, not everyone is concerned with a higher level of traditional gear usage, good luck with your Elk hunt when the time comes Sar.

"Real hunting world"? Is there a not real hunting world? Round balls and bow range distances seem to have worked for a couple hundred years, unless I am wrong and we all starved out and arnet real here in the "Real hunting world".

That was my thought Mcanopy, in more years of ML hunting than many here giving advice have been alive, the biggest cause of lost game and bad talk/feelings about the PRB is shooting to far this has also held true with the modern comicals many use to "increase" their killing range many times I have heard folks say they cannot get within 50-75 yds of Game and I question this at times from talking to people who bow hunt or hunt with PRB in the same area, obviously some places will not provide an "easy" close shot whether in the real or not real world of hunting.General most consider getting close as a part of the true traditional ML hunting experience, and some do not, again this is fine, just make sure that the real limitations and properties of whatever projectile used be it traditional or modern are well understood, 'nough from me, the concept of individual choice is important to maintain and understand as is the difference betweeen the old and new ways.

A conical and 90 or what ever is the most accurate will do the job at a 100 yds. I live 1800 miles from where I hunt elk and don't see elk close enough for a prb sometimes so a conical works better in my case. Nothing wrong with getting close as thats what I do here in Wv. But sometimes there isn't enough time. A conical doesn't work if it is poorly placed but does add a bit of range in a .50 cal. Expect this thread will go down hill fast and that is a shame. The word conical always starts something. :( Larry Wv

Might use bullet for elk and prb for axis....
thoughts?

The problem with that is that your two projectiles will not shoot to the same poi. So, calls for resighting the gun in mid hunt or carrying two guns (you will be holding the wrong one when an opportunity presents :haha: ).

I'm not keen on .50 call rb for elk, but then again it is an opinion without basis in fact. I have never shot an elk with a .50 prb or seen it done. I am told by others that they have done it with good results. We need more comment here from those who have "been there and done it" with a .50 rb!

I also would not use the maxi ball. I have killed one elk and one mulie with .50 maxi ball They both took a long time to die. :shocked2: Both good double lung hits. It's my theory that the coned point of the maxi allows fine penetration but does not seem to create a very good wound channel. Never hunted with the R-E-A-L bullets because they did not shoot well for me but they have that same cone nose that the maxi has.

I'll probably never hunt with conicals in my ml guns again, but if I were going to do it with a .50 I'd use this bullet from a Lyman mould;

508656_tn.jpg

They call it the Great Plains Bullet. That flat meplat will make a good wound channel.

If it is affordable and practical, I'd get a .54 or .58 round ball rifle and go with that for both. Presuming you have enough time to acquaint yourself with the gun and break it in.

I agree with Marmotslayer. Maxies are accurate as heck but not the best choice for letting blood out. Larry

sar; in response to your inquiry, a 50cal prb should be sufficient for your proposed purpose. I've taken 5 elk, 4 cows and a bull, with a 54cal prb's with no problem what so ever. 90gr-3f goex. I hunt the black timber of central Colorado so shots are not 100yds but can be in the meadows and that is what i prepare for. A 50prb over 80-90gr-3f will take down any cow elk ever bred with a broadside shot. It's the hard quarter away shots you must pass on. Good chance of getting a paunch with that one. Axis and fallow deer are certainly more spooky but not as hard to bring down. The only remaining factor will be "buck fever" and your ability to "put'er in the sweet spot". No amount of lead and powder can overcome the "fever". And i agree with others here, i would not recommend using different loads for the different critters on this hunt. Good Luck and Good Hunting, Buzzard

Our "loaner rifle" in elk camp is a .50 cal. TC Hawken and the load is 100 grs 2f w/ a 410 gr. Buffalo Bullet. This rifle has shot 4 adult elk and none "got away". This was my elk rifle but a conical will climb the bore in a clean bbl, so I went to a .54 PRB which kills just as well and has the added advantage of a 100 yd. zero vs 60 yd for the TC and a much lower midrange height.....Fred

PB151157.jpg

Two Great Plains (Hornady) hollow points taken frome two different elk (bulls). Both were recovered from the off-side, and were shot with a Cabela's Hawken with 100 grs. poopodex at about 110 yards. I have never shot an elk with a roundball, but these are deadly.

Back