• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 cal projectile choice for elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of all the elk I have taken, all have been at a range of less than 75 yards. A couple have been as close as 10 yards. Stalking is the point of any big game hunting. Find a game trail and stick to it. Go slow, stop often. An elk doesn't know what you are if you are not moving.

All this talk about long range shots is just chest beating. We read about long range shots on game in almost any hunting/outdoor magazine we pick up.

Distance is not your friend. The greater the distance, the greater the chance of a bad hit. Noone in their right mind would want to track a wounded elk-they are tough. I once chased an elk that my buddy wounded, the shot was through the liver and into a lung. After climbing up and down the mountain in hot pursuit all day, we finally knocked the elk down, six miles in a straight line. Talk about a tiring pack out.

As for your question concerning the right bullet, use whatever gives you the confidence of making the right hit. I'd spend the time between now and elk season in practicing shooting from field positions, and learning how to get sneaky so you can make a good shot at a close range.

thats a great mushroom.

I used 90gr RS on a doe through both front shoulders at 20ish yards. I wish i had saved that bullet to show! Havent used them since then.

I'm just stating the facts. Both bulls were shot in my "magic meadow". It's not chest beating, it's experience, and I'm just relating to the young man that someone else had said that the GP was no good, and I have had good experiences with them. I also said that I had never killed and elk with a prb, so that's where my experience ends. I've killed a lot of elk, and if I can help someone else fill their tag, I'm gonna do it.
There are a lot of people here that "beat their chest", but I think it's more wanting to help someone else than anything. :blah:

PB101153.jpg

Here's some more chest thumpin'.

Back