• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 Caliber PRB with FFFg

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
18 years ago, I purchased a mixed lot of Goex, 7lbs of FFg and 3lbs of FFFg. At the time I was shooting mostly Maxi Hunter bullets from the original barrel of my Dad's TC Hawken. I used about a half pound of the FFFg, but was happy with the fouling, so I switched to FFg. Fast forward, and now I am shooting Dad's rifle with a Green Mountain barrel and patched round ball. Still trying to find an accurate hunting load for the deer tag I drew for a November hunt. Been using FFg Old Eynsford, but the right ball/patch/charge/powder has eluded me. I get acceptable accuracy at 50 yards, but I would like to be able to stretch it out a bit. I'm going to try the FFFg Goex today if the range isn't full, should take delivery of a .495 mould today, haven't really ever tried anything but .490, so I am hoping that maybe the larger diameter will improve things. Going to see if I can find some thicker patches as well. I do use an over powder wad. I'm splitting my time between muzzleloader and BPCR, hardly burn any new fangled smokeless these days. Out of curiosity, is a 1/4x28 the correct nipple for the Green Mountain barrel?

Dave

The tightest patch and ball combo you can get down the barrel without pounding or using a mallet should give better accuracy. You can also try without the over powder wad, it often helps conicals and maxi's more than PRB.

Took delivery of a Green Mountain .495 mould today, ordered some thicker patch material too. Shot today, but had to stop after just 3 shots. Only 50 yards, but shots were touching with a 100gr charge of FFFg.

Took delivery of a Green Mountain .495 mould today, ordered some thicker patch material too. Shot today, but had to stop after just 3 shots. Only 50 yards, but shots were touching with a 100gr charge of FFFg.
How big are deer in your neck of the woods?
We look at ballistic tables and like Tim Tge tool man want mor’power.
Try cutting back on your charge and see how that does. 70 grains three f will put a . 50 (.490) clean through a deer at a hundred yards

When I hunted with my factory T\C shallow grove barrel, the only consistent group it would give me with a PRB was 60gr of FF. This proved plenty of power to put the RB through a deer out to 100 yards. Go for the lungs.

I have a 50 cal GM barrel on my flint rifle .I haven't shot it in a while but I shot a
500 ball in it shoots real good out to 100. I use 70 grs 3 fff

I have a Green Mountain barrel on my TC, in .54, it likes 80gr of 2F and an .018 patch, I have a TC .50 with a factory barrel, it likes 70gr of 2F, a 490 ball and an .018.The green mountain barrel has deeper rifling than the TC and can stand a stouter load.

A 100gr of 3F is over kill but if you like how it shoots go for it.

The TC .50 I inherited last year always shot best with 70-80gr loads. My buddy Doug would pour in 20-30gr of loose 3F T7 topped with a 50gr pellet and a 240gr sabot. He was madder than a baptized cat when I loaded it with 80gr of Swiss 3F and a Maxi, and out shot him.
Still have to work up a PRB load for it. Have 3F Swiss and T7, 2F APP, Shockey’s Gold and Pyrodrek. Plus a 3/4 full box of T7 .50/50 pellets to use up.
The .54 GPR was most accurate with 110-120gr 2F loads.

18 years ago, I purchased a mixed lot of Goex, 7lbs of FFg and 3lbs of FFFg. At the time I was shooting mostly Maxi Hunter bullets from the original barrel of my Dad's TC Hawken. I used about a half pound of the FFFg, but was happy with the fouling, so I switched to FFg. Fast forward, and now I am shooting Dad's rifle with a Green Mountain barrel and patched round ball. Still trying to find an accurate hunting load for the deer tag I drew for a November hunt. Been using FFg Old Eynsford, but the right ball/patch/charge/powder has eluded me. I get acceptable accuracy at 50 yards, but I would like to be able to stretch it out a bit. I'm going to try the FFFg Goex today if the range isn't full, should take delivery of a .495 mould today, haven't really ever tried anything but .490, so I am hoping that maybe the larger diameter will improve things. Going to see if I can find some thicker patches as well. I do use an over powder wad. I'm splitting my time between muzzleloader and BPCR, hardly burn any new fangled smokeless these days. Out of curiosity, is a 1/4x28 the correct nipple for the Green Mountain barrel?

Dave
I hunted for a # of years with a TC Renegade in .54. About 80+ gr of 3FG; TC round patches and .530 RB. Harvested several deer. IMO, traditional BP muzzle loading rifles are '50 yard guns'. To me, iron sights, golf ball trajectory, and other inconsistencies are not worth the risk of wounding and not recovering your quarry. Not ethical to the animal. I respect the game.

So I have tried 50, 60, 70, 80, and now 100 grains of powder. Yesterday was the best so far for accuracy. Fouling was not good, wonder if I am over lubing my patches? Second shot was a bear to seat since in my haste, I left my range rod at home. Getting ready to fire up the casting pot now. Already looking forward to the next outing.

The tightest patch and ball combo you can get down the barrel without pounding or using a mallet should give better accuracy.
I've always heard this too and had no reason to disbelieve it. Last year I got tired of working a PRB down the barrel of a particular rifle, so I switched over to a patch that was .008 less thick. It went down easy, like one had constant pressure on the rod easy. My accuracy went up exponentially. Instead of a 3-inch group that I had come to accept as the best this rifle could do, the holes were touching and could achieve a little over an inch accuracy, all things being equal but the patch. This prompted me to look at another rifle that was not as hard to load but still was tough loading without fantastic accuracy. This time I used a ball that was .005 less than usual. Loaded easy, and accuracy increased quite a bit! So - don't be afraid to back off a tight fitting PRB combo and loosen it up a little. Worst case you can go back to tighter or go tighter.

Well this was a combo I'd tried before, albeit with a lower powder charge, and accuracy was definitely better. Only disappointment were the shots with balls from a .490 T/C mould, didn't try any .490 from my Lee mould. The ones I cast and shot yesterday have what I feel is a large sprue and I was less than effective at getting it to sit straight up as I rammed it home. Hopefully the new patch material gets here soon. I will say, no difference in accuracy between over powder wad vs no over powder wad. To answer the earlier questions, I will be hunting mountain mule deer, so I know that I don't need a 100gr load, just hunting for an accurate load. Cast up a handful of ball from the new mould while making ingots.

Attachments

• 20240901_130636.jpg
    20240901_130636.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Back