• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 Hawken side cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R Brewer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have shot the Hawken twice and am getting the hang of it. Today my first 2 loads didnt fire after trying 3 caps on each. Someone there helped me and we pulled the nipple, poured a little Pyrodex in the hole, put the nipple back in and shot a new cap. It seemed to work just fine. Not sure if this is safe or not but it did work. What do yall think? I also ran a dry patch after each shot and then fired a cap before reloading. Is this overkill? Should I run a dry patch or a patch with T-17 on it or one with bore butter on it? I feel like I should run some kind of patch between shots since they sure come out black. I am shooting 275 grain maxi balls with 100 grains of Pyrodex. Thanks for all the help in advance!!!

Adding a small bit of powder under the nipple to remove a "dry ball" (no powder loaded) or to fire a main charge has been used for years with no harm.

I would not recommend "wiping with a dry patch".

Doing this can cause more problems than it's worth.

First, running a dry patch down the bore is an excellent way to get your patch, cleaning jag and ramrod stuck in the barrel.
Often the dry patch will grab onto the fouling and refuse to let go.
If this happens, pour some water down the barrel and count to ten. Then lightly push the patch/jag a little further down the bore and then pull it out. This works almost every time. :)

The other thing that running a dry patch down a fouled bore will do is to knock off the fouling and allow it to tumble into the powder chamber or flame channel hole. This often will prevent the next shot from firing.

If you really need to wipe the bore between shots in order to get the next patched ball down the barrel lightly wet the patch, not dripping wet but a little more than just damp. Then run it down the bore to the breech, count to 5 and pull it back out of the gun. Do not run it up and down the bore.
Follow this with a dry patch to remove the excess moisture before loading your next shot.

Just lick a cotton type patch with spit (real good) on one side and run that side down the barrel then turn it over to get the rest, it will pick up what it needs to. Only a sugestion..

Many, many years ago, when I used Pyrodex, I finally came up with a procedure that would allow me to shoot it reliably. It still was never as fast firing as real black powder, but at least usable.
First, run dry patches down your bore to remove any oil in it from storage. Then fire at least 3 to 5 caps to make sure the breech is clear and dry. Also, very important with Pyrodex, use a Hot Shot nipple. These are not necessary with BP, but, in my experience, absolutely necessary with Pyrodex. When finally loading, tilt the rifle toward the nipple/lock side slightly, pour in the powder, then rap on the side of the barrel with the heel of your hand to get the powder into the patent breech. Then seat your patched round ball, using your lube of choice. I like Hoppes #9 Black Powder Plus lube/cleaner. Make sure you put a fair amount of pressure on the ramrod. Then cap and shoot. I swab with T/C #13 followed by a dry patch, then repeat the loading process.
Another thing to keep in mind is that cleaning should involve a thorough soap and water flushing of the breech, followed by drying/oiling.
Larry

make sure you are turning your rifle over to the side and smacking the stock opposite of the lock to help push the powder under the nipple.

If you're swabbing between shots, make sure its lightly wet. If its over wet, all that water or whatever is running down into the breech plug area and soaking your fresh powder as you pour it down the barrel.

Latest posts

Back