• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 or 54 cal for black bear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HARDCORE

32 Cal.
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and also new to black powder rifles. I'm thinking about getting a traditional smoke pole for hunting season this year. And being that i plan on just shooting a patch and round ball, I'm going to go with a new Lyman Great plains rifle. This rifle will be mostly for whitetail deer but if i get a shot at a big black bear will a 50 cal do or should i get a 54 cal.
Also what is the advantages of one over the other?

Thanks, Hardcore

I would most certainly vote for the .54 caliber over the .50. The fact that black bear is on the menu makes the .54 a much better choice and even just for deer the .54 is a much better way to go.

The extra weight makes a difference .54=230 grain; .50=177 grain. More thump. Go with the .54 for sure.

Thumped lots of blackbear over the years with other rounds, but none with ML, so take what I say under advisement: Blackbear are easy to kill on broadside shots with most calibers. Things get "interesting" when you take any other shot, however. If you can't restrain yourself to take only broadside shots, then by all means look into the GPH, shoot conicals, and pray.

Based on performance of other game killed with PRB, I'd say you should only take broadside shots on blackbear or anything else no matter what the caliber, and you'll see little difference between the performance of a 50 and 54 (and I have both). I'm happier overall with a bigolehole in my barrels, so I'd probably go for the 54 in your shoes.

Handle my 50 GPR and my 54 GPR side by side and you will probably understand. The 54 has a lot less steel in the barrel, which changes and improves the handling quite a bit for me. Not that the 50 will be any less capable for your needs, but you'll certainly enjoy carrying and shooting the 54 a lot more.

.54 and be proficient in relaodaing very quickly and in the correct order: powder(run) patch(duck) ball(pray) prime(this bear has rotten breath) aim and fire. Now, do it again.

I have to agree with the above. Now, saying that, I've only killed bear (3) with a .50. The only reason is, it's a flintlock. That's what I hunt with now. My T/C Hawkens caplock .54 will command the field, between the two calibres, for knockdown power. I've shot deer with both, also. I did get more meat damage with .54 (sorta what it's supposed to do..?) Either way, both will work with proper shot placement. Good luck!

PS-The largest bear I got was 490 lbs. and the patched RB did better (penetration and staying together) than a .30-06 on a 420 lb. bear the same week.

This is advise from someone that lives and hunts bears in Alaska with muzzleloaders. If you are shooting round balls, the .54 is much better. If you shoot conicals, then either is more than adaquate for black bear.
I use a .54 Hawken with conicals. I have taken moose, caribou, Sitka black tails, black bear and a griz. I am going for moose and bear in less than 2 weeks and will have my muzzleloader with me. My primary weapon on this hunt will be my .454 Casuul handgun, but I do want to take another blackie with my Hawken. The area I am going to does have griz, so that will also be a possibility.

I know a fellow who has take several with a .22 LR Rugar. A .50 ML will do just fine. :v

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I'm going to go with the .54 . I'll post a picture after i get it

Thanks again, Hardcore

Good choice. It will make you really happy- not only for black bear, but also for deer and general messing around. I even use mine with 35gr 3F and PRB for headshots on snowshoe hare. It's "minute of rabbit head" out to nearly 50 yards. Can't get enough field practice with any gun. Range time is good, but field time is better.

never shot one with a 54 but did one with a 50 and it worked so i suppose a 54 would work. maybe not better but will work

I've taken black bear with both 50 and 54 cal with patched round ball. Both are effective with the 54 being maybe a little more so but the 50 drops em just as dead. All have been broadside shots in the chest and all were shoot thru at ranges from 20 yds to 70 yds. Here is a pic of my last bear with a 50 flinter that I built. Bear was 238 lbs dressed.
JOHNBEARHUNT1.jpg

:thumbsup: GOING for'BAR tomorrow morn,(have to drive about 7miles) . will be shooting my .50 cal kentucky FLINTER. 80 gr. fffG /.490 prb . if i don't post tomorrow afternoon,means BEAR 1/ OLD CROW 0. will have another weapon,just incase things go sideways CHEERS OLD CROW on Vancouver Island ( HOME OF THE CAVE BEARS) :grin:

Good Luck! I hunted Ft. St. James area a couple of years ago with modern center fire rifles. Took two on two different hunts. I'd like to try it with an Underhammer. How hard is it to get real black powder in Canada?

I'd probably be bringing my .54 and a .62 barrel.

I envy you fellas in the 'Great White North' for the bear and caribou hunting you have. there are blacks here, I have hunted them with some ol' boys that have dogs but never taken one. they are good eating tho, particular one that has been feeding around an old farm that had orchards. or around an active farm - corn, pumpkin or squash, cabbage and so on. but down south here we have feral hogs that in places are in abundance - and they are good eating if you find them in the same places mentioned before.
a .50 will do the job, but I have been dialing in the Lee REAL slug in my .50 for the big hogs. 320 grs.

Went on my trip. Didn't take a blackie, but certainly had the opportunity. The one I nearly shot was within 40 yards, but in looking him over, he had a huge rubbed out spot on his rear. Not the best coat I have seen. I took a 7 footer a few years ago that was pretty rubbed, and I swore to never do it again. The trip was an absolute blast, tho.
Am going for a late-winter caribou hunt in November with my .54.

The bigger bore gives you a lighter gun as mentioned and plenty of poop for a blackbear, you
can always order another barrel for the lyman if you want a different caliber. Having said that I would not hesitate to use a .50 on bear if that was all I had.

Well with bear just remember one thing..

Make sure you have some back up just in case.
I carry my 1911 whenever I hunt the more "dangerous" type of game, especially when I hunt with my muzzleloader.
Just some food for thought.

I'd go with the biggest hole possible. A .50 will do it but I'd be happier with the 54 and if it were me I'd be taking my .62 cal. Get good at loading fast and bring something to protect yourself should the SHTF. I carried a tomahawk and a bowie knife with me when I went on a bear hunt in New Brunswick. Some of you guys might have read that story in BP Hunting or Muzzle Blasts. The one were the bear climbed up the tree and sniffed me. WHEW WEEE was that a rush I would never like to repeat. lol

Have fun and be safe, study their anatomy so you make that one shot count. Remember the big ones have a lot of space between their ears.

Oh yeah and see if you notice the woods going quiet when a bear is in the area.

Billy
[url] http://mysite.verizon.net/tmmh/billybear.jpg[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back