• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 PRB on turkey?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the bad old days we had a November turkey shoot at the gun club.

A couple of telephone poles were laid crossways at about the 25 yard line and live turkeys were staked out behind the poles by one foot so you could not see their bodies. They would get curious and raise their heads up above the poles and if you managed to hit one you got to take the turkey home with you. They ducked, dived and you never knew when or where their heads would pop up. No shot allowed, PRB only.

It has been to long now and I can not remember how much it cost per shot but it was a money maker for the club and no turkeys lived.

Shut down to avoid negative comments in town.

Back in the bad old days we had a November turkey shoot at the gun club.

A couple of telephone poles were laid crossways at about the 25 yard line and live turkeys were staked out behind the poles by one foot so you could not see their bodies. They would get curious and raise their heads up above the poles and if you managed to hit one you got to take the turkey home with you. They ducked, dived and you never knew when or where their heads would pop up. No shot allowed, PRB only.

It has been to long now and I can not remember how much it cost per shot but it was a money maker for the club and no turkeys lived.

Shut down to avoid negative comments in town.
Yep, Alvin York figured out how to do that one... ;)

I killed a lot of small game with a .54 Investarms Hawken back in my ignorant days before the internet. Around 30 grains of whatever powder, usually Pyrodex P, and a PRB (using old t-shirts smeared with Crisco as a patch) did the trick. I imagine a .50 loaded similarly would do just fine for turkey.
I like it !!!

Possible on a stationary turkey head target, nearly impossible on a live bird. I've never seen a turkey keep its head steady for more than a couple seconds at a time.
Possible does not mean probable. Though I've done it a couple of times with airguns. And Cherokee kids used to do it with blowguns "back in the day," aiming for the eye.

Back