• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 vs. 54 roundball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walks with fire

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Just how much performance difference is there between the 50 and 54 roundball for whitetails at 100 yard ranges? Is it worth the expense to purchase a 54 barrel? Is there enough gain in performance to go up to the 54?

Walks with fire said:
Just how much performance difference is there between the 50 and 54 roundball for whitetails at 100 yard ranges? Is it worth the expense to purchase a 54 barrel? Is there enough gain in performance to go up to the 54?
Well, I think the 230grn/.530" has about a 10% larger frontal area, and is close to 25% heavier...so it sould certainly deliver more umph at 100yds than a 180grn/.490".

IMO, if I was faced with 100yd shots as the norm, I'd feel more comfortable using a .54cal...but the longest PRB shot I've ever had was only 70yds with a .54cal so I can't speak from hands on experience about 100yds.

I shoot a lot of 50 and 54, but hardly ever at 100 yards. And I'm not one to ventilate game that far away. But I'd be reaching for the 54 over the 50 if I was so inclined.

Based on the differences I'm seeing at closer ranges, yeah, I'm convinced that the 54 gives a considerable edge if you really need it.

And if you're a reader of ballistic tables and such, the computers say that as range stretches velocities are going to be similar while giving a further the edge to the 54.

I'd reach for the 54 because I'd want a little more "just in case" stored in my hip pocket due to the increasing odds of something going haywire as range stretches. Not saying the 50 wouldn't do the job with a good shot, but that's not what you're asking. You're asking about margin for error.

Heck, I'd be even happier with one of my 58's. But that's not saying the 54 won't do the job. I just want as much margin for error as possible if I'm going to be stretching the range. And the difference between a 58 and a 50 will set your mind to spinning.

Walks with fire said:

I purchased a T/C Renegade for the sole purpose of haveing that two barrel option. I have the .50 prb's for cyotes and the .54 prb's for deer "to 100 yards". I love it! If you look around you can find a second barrel used or an entire outfit fairly inexpensively. Oooorrrrr just use a conical; 385 grs out of a .50 is good too.

I think on bigger game like whitetail or red deer (elk) the .54 is better, because it delievers more energy at a longer distance. Furthermore the bigger ball makes bigger wholes which is good for a strong bloodtrail.

But for hunting roedeer or smaller game a .50 PRB is adequate.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I would suggest setting the range limit at 75 yds give or takem this will give an edge in shot placement using the primitive sights and prb and be a better choice for most hunters with this concept I would use either the ,50 or .54 interchangably, and before we talk about the once in a lifetime buck that shows himself at 100 or 110 yds...he will always be out there just out of range even if you shoot a 300 Win Mag.

BrownBear said:
I shoot a lot of 50 and 54, but hardly ever at 100 yards. And I'm not one to ventilate game that far away. But I'd be reaching for the 54 over the 50 if I was so inclined.

Based on the differences I'm seeing at closer ranges, yeah, I'm convinced that the 54 gives a considerable edge if you really need it.

And if you're a reader of ballistic tables and such, the computers say that as range stretches velocities are going to be similar while giving a further the edge to the 54.

I'd reach for the 54 because I'd want a little more "just in case" stored in my hip pocket due to the increasing odds of something going haywire as range stretches. Not saying the 50 wouldn't do the job with a good shot, but that's not what you're asking. You're asking about margin for error.

Heck, I'd be even happier with one of my 58's. But that's not saying the 54 won't do the job. I just want as much margin for error as possible if I'm going to be stretching the range. And the difference between a 58 and a 50 will set your mind to spinning.
i couldn't agree more with Brownbear. diameter means everything with roundballs. when my friends and i started hunting with muzzleloaders in the 80's we all had T/C Renegades and Hawkens in .50 or .54 cal. the .54's just hit harder when using PRB's. when i bought the Renegade "Big Boar" .58 the difference was even more pronounced.

"When in doubt, shoot a bigger ball!'

Or get closer, at some point the math will equal out the equation.

tg said:
"...and before we talk about the once in a lifetime buck that shows himself at 100 or 110 yds...he will always be out there just out of range even if you shoot a 300 Win Mag.

Now, now....be nice :grin:

tg said:
"When in doubt, shoot a bigger ball!'

Or get closer, at some point the math will equal out the equation.

:hmm: :hmm: .490 VS .530 unless at some point 2+2=5 the math will ALWAYS favor the larger diamater unless you wanna talk connicals? :wink: :v

Yes, loaded equally, the .54 will hit harder at 100 yards. So what? you ask about killing whitetailed deer. The .50 is entirely adequate for that purpose. With either rifle, you should try for a heart/lung shot, through the ribs, and not aim for a shoulder or the neck. You don't need a .54 to kill deer. Even though I hunt deer and antelope with mine, I'd be equally at ease with a .50.

Herb said:
Yes, loaded equally, the .54 will hit harder at 100 yards. So what? you ask about killing whitetailed deer. The .50 is entirely adequate for that purpose. With either rifle, you should try for a heart/lung shot, through the ribs, and not aim for a shoulder or the neck. You don't need a .54 to kill deer. Even though I hunt deer and antelope with mine, I'd be equally at ease with a .50.

You don't need a .54 to kill deer
True! You can kill deer wit ha .22, a car, or a hammer I'm sure BUT.....I feel that we owe the animal the cleanest kill possible and oft time its the degree of "unexpected" that makes the larger calibur more attractive; The animla moves at the shoot goining from broadside to quatering on, or you didnt see the tuft of grass between you and the animal as you were focused on the deer, etc, etc, etc
Of course a .50 is plenty to kill a deer with as is a .45 and maybe a .32 with proper shot placement? But the question is ".54 VS .50" and you admit that when YOUR $$ was on the line you bought the .54. GOOD BOY!

" .490 VS .530 unless at some point 2+2=5 the math will ALWAYS favor the larger diamater unless you wanna talk connicals?"

My point was that at 100 yds a ball may have 800ftlb a different size ball will have the same energy either farther or closer,, so if you get closer with the .50 you will have as much energy as the .54 at a longer range and I find it a waste of time to talk about connicals as the only ones anybody knows anythin about are the modern ones

While you can start them off at the same 1,800 fps or so with either rifle the .530 is 230 grains while the .490 is 178. That's 29% more mass. That translates into more down range energy.

The round ball is a poor ballistic object, so to do better you have to throw more weight.

That or get closer. ;-)

Well the 15/16" 54 caliber is the largest that will fit into my stock. I don't want to spend the bucks on a new rifle. Guess I will keep shooting the 50 caliber. The twist is 1:66 and too slow for the heavier conical.

Some .54cal related news that you might find interesting if you have a 15/16" T/C Hawken:

Per my phone call with GM this afternoon, they still have one 15/16" x 33" x .54cal smoothbore drop-in Flint barrel left in stock...on sale $100...and they have a lot left in caplock, also $100.

I know from personal experience the Flint version shoots a Hornday .520" (five twenty) round ball like a laser at least to the 50yds I zeroed mine.

So practiclly for the price of a double handful of cheesburgers, you can have a terrific mid-size caliber round ball deer barrel for woods hunting without giving up any accuracy, and have birdshot capability for squirrels, rabbits, doves, turkeys, crows, etc...

Would love to find one of the GM's in 1/70 flint for mine.Wonder why they quit making them.Ray

Back