• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 vs. 54 roundball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fishhog said:
Would love to find one of the GM's in 1/70 flint for mine.Wonder why they quit making them.Ray
Just talked with GM yesterday...they have started the process to make another batch of 15/16" x 33" x .54cal T/C Hawken drop-in barrels...said the cycle takes about 6 nmonths, so they should be available in the spring...caplock only.

"Can I leave a standing order to configure one with a Flint plug instead" ?

No...after the caplock manufacturing process is completed, we'll have to pay an extra fee for them to remove a cap plug, install a flint plug, then reblue again. :shake:

OR...you could do like I did to get a .62cal "rifle" barrel...buy the .54cal Flint smoothbore for $100...send it to Ed Rayl and he'll add the rifling for $65.

I have a .62cal GM Flint smoothbore barrel that is "rifled" for about $180 total when shipping is added in...and the thing is a tack driver.

Ed Rayl in Gassaway, West Va.

Thanks Roundball,I bet if they did bring the flint version back they would sell a bunch..The .62 sure sounds tempting,how deep is the rifling by Earl and what twists? Also does he sleeve the bore?Ray

No sleeve...the bore diameter of the .62cal smoothbore becomes the land-to-land bore diameter of course after cutting grooves in the walls...I was surprised at the $65 price as I'd assumed it would be a lot more...the steps were:

Out of sight on the bottom flat he scribed a tiny 1/4" timing mark across the seam of the breechplug & barrel, for precise realignment after he removes & reinstalls the breechplug;

Removed the breechplug;

Went with his recommended .012" square bottom x 1:72" grooves; The bore seemed polished, loads easy, and fouls very little.

Reinstalled the breech plug;

Sent it the 2nd week of January one year, got it back in 3 weeks.

Not a mark on the barrel from all the handling, etc;

Incredibly accurate...I just use a mid raqnge load for deer hunting in the woods:

100grns Goex 2F
Oxyoke prelubed wad
.020" (very tight) or .018" (normal) prelubed patch
.600" cast ball

Walks with fire said:
Just how much performance difference is there between the 50 and 54 roundball for whitetails at 100 yard ranges?

I don't know for sure, but I think that Roundball will be just as good at 54 as he was at 50. ROFLMAO!! :rotf:

While I cannot speak definitively as I don't have a .54 yet, at that range on a deer, I can't imagine an appreciable difference. As others have said, if you plan to go up the animal ladder, get the bigger caliber. Nothing wrong with a bigger hammer to get the same nail driven so to speak. My shots are always planned to be closer than that though...

Pork Chop said:
While I cannot speak definitively as I don't have a .54 yet, at that range on a deer, I can't imagine an appreciable difference. As others have said, if you plan to go up the animal ladder, get the bigger caliber. Nothing wrong with a bigger hammer to get the same nail driven so to speak. My shots are always planned to be closer than that though...

I've got both 50's and 54's and I want to "clarify" what you said a little, if it's okay. There is in my experience a noticeable difference between the two in the "whack" you get on deer and sometimes in the speed of the kill, with the 54 being a little more impressive, if that's the right word.

But that's not saying that the 50 isn't good or won't do a good job!!!!!!!! It does just fine, and I have no qualms about using mine for deer instead of my 54's. Or for that matter, even one of my 58's. Dead is dead is dead, and the 50 will do the job when you do yours.

And your point about climbing the animal ladder is a very good one. Though others use a 50 and do a good job for elk all the time, I'd reach for my 54. Step up again for moose, and I'd reach for my 58 rather than one of my 54's. Doesn't mean the 54 wouldn't work, and in fact folks use their 50's successfully for moose, too.

There's no penalty for using the bigger calibers for deer, so if you're going for just one gun that might also be used for elk or deer, then the larger caliber might please you more. It's your checkbook after all, and you should get the gun that tickles you best. Heck, I've got two 58's now, and I'm searching hard to find an excuse for a 62. After that I'll be looking for a 69, then probably a 72 and a 75.

Muzzleloaders are just that way for me. They're all so darned much fun to shoot and hunt with.

50 or 54?

Heck, that's easy. Buy em both now or buy them one at a time, but if you get hooked you're going to own both sooner or later.

BrownBear said:
50 or 54?

Heck, that's easy. Buy em both now or buy them one at a time, but if you get hooked you're going to own both sooner or later.

Ohhhhhhh Soooooo true! :wink: :wink:

I've been shooting my 58's a lot lately, but yesterday I headed up into the timber for a casual deer walk in the rain. It's known bear country, but what did I grab?

The 50 cal GPR I built from a kit. Bear wasn't enough of an issue to make me carry bigger or stay home, and it was the kind of hunt that just felt right carrying everything I made myself.

Caliber choosing gets real personal, not only when you're buying your first, but also when you're picking among several you already own.

roundball said:
Reminds me of being asked why I occasionally hunt whitetails with a .62cal...the answer is simply because I can, and I want to.
:wink:
Good Answer :thumbsup:

-----I just swapped a 58 Lancaster 42 in swamped for a 69 cal Lancaster 48 in barrel--even up--hope I did good ??????

If it makes you feel all toasty inside, ya done great!

Hardest part for me would be giving up one to get the other. Call me greedy, but I'd be happiest owning both.

BrownBear said:
Hardest part for me would be giving up one to get the other.
Call me greedy, but I'd be happiest owning both.

Amen...I made the decision to put off buying a new car for several years and drove my '91 Blazer until a year & a half ago so I could afford some different calibers, smoothbores, etc...couldn't bring myself to get rid of one just to get another.

RUBINCAM, how much does a .69cal ball weigh?

-----I don't have a scales so I don't know---they look big and are heavy---wouldn't want someone to throw one at me-----hope to get another 58 sometime-----

A full caliber ball in .69 would weigh in at 500 grains. I have a .671 NEI mould that throws a 454 grain ball.

Back