• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50cal Dickert is ready for deer season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Finalized deer hunting load development work for the .50cal Dickert over a few range trips, finishing paper targets yesterday.
Went back fresh again this morning using the deer load to just plink pine cones and 2”x3” short coke cans on the 50yd berm, shooting from my hunting / sitting position.

Ed Rayl’s round bottom grooves on a 42” GM barrel, Deluxe Siler, Davis triggers”¦all very fast and accurate.
90grns Goex 3F / .50cal Oxyoke wad / .018” pillow ticking / .490” ball

If we get another good acorn crop on a ridge I hunt there should be deer moving through there again some of the days I’m there and the Dickert should get it done.

04301150calDickertCokeCans1Crop.jpg

She is a looker and hard on Coke cans Roundball!

Say, how do you like the round bottom grooves? Are they a lot easier to clean like a lot of others have said or no? :idunno:

Skychief.

Skychief said:
how do you like the round bottom grooves? Are they a lot easier to clean like a lot of others have said or no?

I found them easier to clean, and to seat tight fitting PRBs...and after that experience with my first round bottom groove barrel, two others since then also have them

T.O. said:
You have some nice looking toys. Beautiful gun, I hope you break it in this fall.
Bought this one used...gradually made a few good upgrades to it over the past year or so as I could afford to...hope to christen it this fall too...but even if I don't, its been a good project
:)

Just curious....w/ all those fine looking LRs, how do you determine which one you'll use on any given day? Or...do you have a portable rack mounted next to your tree stand and each LR gets it's chance? :grin: More hunters should prepare as you do and your efforts really do result in some nice deer...Good luck....Fred

When all the dust settles after I retire at year end, my target goal is to finish selling off everything else I have left and end up with just 3 Virginias:

.45cal rifle + interchangeable .54cal S/B barrel
.58cal rifle
.62cal S/B

In the end I may decide to keep this .50cal Dickert after hunting season closes, but I won't need it so I doubt it...I really just need to settle on the 3 Virginias...the .45 for weekend range fun, the .58 for deer, and the smooth bores for everything else.

Rocky J said:
That is beautiful Bill.
But in Michigan we can't afford to shoot coke cans, ten cent deposit.LOL

:rotf:
We don't get any refund but do recycle them of course.
Shooting paper targets gets boring pretty fast and I knew that .50cal hunting load would really beat up my little steel hanger plate target so I save these things whenever they're available...things like these and empty .12ga hulls make great little small size targets for different distances

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back