• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 bullet mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggybuilder

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Renegade .54 that shoots the TC Maxiballs very well.
Can't aford to keep buying these so I was going to mold my own.
Have any of you .54 shooters had any experience with the LEE Improved Miniball. It is .54 dia and 415 gr. Part #540-415. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!!

Not with the .54, but I have used the .50 in my TC .50 cal. It worked pretty good but since it was skirted it seemed to lose accuracy at higher velocities.

Take a look at the Lyman Great Plains bullet mold :thumbsup:

Original T/C Maxi-ball moulds are pretty easy to find on fleabay.
Lyman makes a Maxi-ball mould too.
Lee REAL's are pretty finicky. I've found they take a lot of load work-p to get them to shoot good.

HD

My .54 T/C Hawkens shoots the 380 grain Lee REAL like there's no tomarrow out to 100 yards :thumbsup: .

I have a 54 lee minie, a 54 maxi and a 54 REAL boolit mold.... I have a Jaeger 54 flinter.

The maxi is my favorite for hunting

The lee real is a CLOSE second and shoots very well, I use this boolit year round for treking and general use when I don't want to fool with RB's and patches. I snowshoe a trapline where the moose can get a little aggresive and the temps are usually below zero. It is easy to load (with cold hands) and shoots very well.

I hate the minnie...it dosen't hold enough lube and is too small to fit the bore well. The skirt comes apart if you put enough heat behind them to make them useful for hunting.

Just my opinion but I hope it helps.

dustystones said:
I have a Renegade .54 that shoots the TC Maxiballs very well.
Can't aford to keep buying these so I was going to mold my own.
Have any of you .54 shooters had any experience with the LEE Improved Miniball. It is .54 dia and 415 gr. Part #540-415. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!!

the lee minie is a good minie i use one in my pedersoli tryon .54 wich has a .530 bore, i use the lee .533 minie sized to .529 and have two base plugs for it one is std and one is turned down to give a thicker skirt see picks,with the thicker skirt it will shoot tight groups with heavy hunting loads,you can get extra base plugs from lee.the last pic is how it shoots with 115 grn of ppp wano at 50 meters of crossed stix 1-1/8"x 1" center to center.
bernie :thumbsup:
101_0419.jpg

101_0422.jpg

101_0959.jpg

101_0949.jpg

When using the T/C Maxihunter or any other mold, can I "pan lube" these cast bullets using Bore Butter. I pan lube for my 38-55 and just push them out of the "cake" after it is cooled. Or is there a better method or maybe a different type of lube.
Can anyone please help?
Thanks.
Also from the forum reading that I have done, some shooters use an over the powder wad for better accuracy when using a PRB. What type of material do you use or do you just use a commercial product? Can't seem to find anything for a .54
Thanks again for any help!

Yes you can pan lube them. However I have found they are less accurate with the grooves filled with lube. I treat my conicals with Lee Liquid Alox and use a wad over the powder. Wads can be punched out of felt. I use 1/8 inch thick felt from www.durofelt.com and punch them with a 9/16 punch for the .54. Lube the wads with melted bore butter.

HD

Last edited by a moderator:
Back