• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 cal prb with 70 grns Triple 7?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbow

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My New EnglAnder shoots best with a round ball a patch and 70 grains of ffg Triple 7. I hunt whitetails is this a good load for them and if so what should be the maxi mum range? How much emery and velocity will this load have? It is a .530 round ball and a TC .018 patch. Any info appreciated. Thanks craig.

Dunno on the theoretical max range. I will say that there comes a point that your trajectory is unmanageable when you stretch the range.

My wife uses 60 grains of 3f Goex in her 54 Deerstalker, but limits her shots to 50 yards as a matter of course. Never recovered a ball from a deer with that combo. BUT. Sighted in like she is (she prefers to zero at 50) she's about 10" low at 100. I dinked around with a 60 grain 3f charge in my 54 GPR, which is sighted in with 90 grains of 3f at 75 yards, striking around 3" low at 100. With the lighter charge it was hitting about 8 low at 100. Longer barrel and more vel of course, but still not flat enough for my tastes.

Your combo is plenty capable of completely penetrating a deer at 100 I suspect, but without confirming. But first you gotta hit the deer.

I shot a deer last year with 70 grains of Triple seven 2F and my TC 45 cal Hawken. I use 90 grains in my TC Hawken 54. I feel that 70 grains in a 54 is on the light side. Guess it would be ok if you keep your shooting close.

elbow said:
How much velocity will this load have?

90 grs of 777 behind a .530 ball and .015 patch averaged 1933 through my Chrono. That's better than what Hornady shows in their data sheets (1775 fps), but then each gun's barrel and other factors also have some effect. Their data only goes down to 80 grs with a 530 ball and .020 patch and estimates 1667 FPS...so I assume 70 grs might be in the 1500+ range give or take.
http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/muzzleloading_manual_2008.pdf?CHECKBOX_1=on

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back