• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 cal shot placement options for Elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Brines said:
I used pyrodex in the beginning, but have repented of my sins and now use true black.

LOL!!!

BP is what I intend on using mainly because I already have a couple of ponds and I hear it ignites more readily than the sythetics.

The BP has better ignition for sure. The pyro will work but sometimes I was able to sense it was a bit slow and there were occasional hang fires too.

That's what I have heard also Marmot slayer. BTW I have a generous guy on the Cast Boolits Board sending me a bunch of Lyman Plains bullets he cast for me to try so I will have three bullets to test this weekend, The Hornady Great Plains 425 gn HP the Lyman Plains bullet 450 gr (I think)wide meplat solid and a LEE REAL solid 380gr. Should be interesting!

I had Veral at LBT make me a 500 gr. 50 cal mould with a big flat nose, with 90 grs. 2F it had killed many Elk and Deer over the last 15 yrs.
I've only seen 1 bullet recovered and that from a huge 6 point Elk, it was expanded to about .75 all the rest exited. My 1st Elk after I got the mould was shot facing me at about 75 yds., hit center of chest exited between the back legs, dropped in his tracks, never saw him twitch.A friend liked it so well he had Veral make him one like it but in .45. He and several other guys use it now, it also weights 500 gr. These bullets have been very accurate in all guns we've tried them in.Deadeye

Well the Lyman Plains bullest shot the best!

Here are the two 50 yard groups I shot with them. Shot with factory open sights - from the bench.

80 grains black powder.
0729121030.jpg

90 grains black powder
0729121156.jpg

I am sure I can tighten these groups up with some practice and by getting used to the stiff trigger on this gun. The set trigger works good but is VERY light and will take some getting used to.

Back