• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 caliber conicals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbriggs57

32 Cal.
Reaction score
the 54 caliber Great Plains bullets that have been discontinued are still in shelves occasionally. I found two packages in a local gun shoo in southern Michigan today. They had some T/C maxi hunters, too, but I have a lot of those already. The great plains bullets shoot a little better

Since I've been shooting PRB exclusively since 2013, I had no idea they quit making those. I used them to kill a number of deer. GREAT shooting bullets, even out of my slow-twist 1-65 Pedersoli Rocky Mtn Hawken and a Frontier I had. Excellent performance on targets and big game. The kick of the rifle was defintely "enhanced" using them, but still not too bad with a 90 gr load of Triple 7. I still have a couple boxes of them. I looked online and a few places still have some of them, but most are marked as "sold out." IMO, the hollow base was the secret. I could never get the TC Maxi's to fly nearly as true. For guys that still want these, there must be a mold out there...no?

I used the hollow base hollow point on elk the work great! But man they do kick hard!!! Lol used them for years then I got a mold for r.e.a.l. bullets and gun liked them better.

Lyman's mold for their Plains Bullet in 54 caliber is real close to the Hornady Great Plains bullet and shoots as well in my experience. The only thing I can see to mourn in the loss of the Hornady is the convenience of buying them off the shelf.

I see that Buffalo Bullets is relocating to Nevada into new facilities with new equipment and will be back in production in 2Q 2019. They are starting with their .50's, but say they will quickly be adding the other calibers. So for guys wanting conicals, hopefully there will be a good selection again. Buffalo always made good conicals in a wide variety.

https://buffalobulletindustries.com/

Buffalo Bullet Company / Industries is in the process of relocating to Carson City, Nevada and has temporarily ceased all production of the Buffalo Bullet product line until the second quarter of 2019....

First, we will be reintroducing Buffalo Bullets original.50 caliber 385gr. hollow point hollow base, this is the bullet that started the company... Also the .50 caliber 245gr. BALL-ET, these will be our first available products...

Many other popular calibers for our bullets, Ball-ets, balls, sabots, are soon to come...

Additionally, Buffalo Bullet will also be introducing a complete line of hard, cold swaged, centerfire pistol bullets available late 2019...

Buffalo Bullet has invested in state of the art, high speed machinery to produce a superior aerospace quality product while maintaining the original Buffalo Bullet design...

With Buffalo's new high speed machinery and larger more modern facility, the product line will be greatly increased to keep-up with the demand of our products while maintaining minimum backorders...

Thank you for your continued support and look forward to serving your bullet needs !!

when I found out I bought 20 boxes of them from TOF I bought 8 from midway and 11 from mid southshooters. I had 5 boxes left of an original 10 I bought when I got back into traditional muzzleloading 3 years ago. ive got 8 54s but I only shoot these out of 2 of my 54s. 5 of them are roundball only and one I shoot the no excuse 535 grain out of. Ive had great results on big hogs with either 2F olde Eynesford or Pyro 2F. I do use a wonder wad recommended 3 years ago by mr. BrownBear

Back