• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 CVA Express Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So we walked in to the pawn shop and my wife asks him if he has any muzzleloaders. He says, “yeah, but it’s a shotgun”.

Short version is, 45 minutes later she walks out carrying a new, unfired as far as i can tell, .54 CVA Express Rifle.

I think we did okay, but i know nothing about this and i hope y’all do...

E347479C-9D3D-46C8-B712-BAF30F33D30D.jpegF6A49815-E2C2-48AA-ADA6-3ABFC96A9BEE.jpeg22993A3C-39D3-4B1B-9BA0-5EEE4E2AB91D.jpeg2271CEB3-F7E5-48DD-B15C-AF244C726248.jpeg

You did well.
Depending on the age you may find a scew at the front to help regulate the loads. I read somewhere that they were regulated for 75 yards. I have also read the regulation was very hit and miss.
Sorry cant tell you much more.

She paid $250, so she didn’t break the bank, and then got it home and ran a couple if oatches soaked in Deep Creep - not even a smudge of anything on it - unfired. That will change shortly.
She gonna let you shoot it? Her gun, she bought it!

I’ve witnessed a few of these shot at Friendship at their DR Safari match. Some have them shooting very well. I believe they were shooting conicals.

Another custom double just sold here the other day and the comments in the ad were very interesting. A .530 rb mold is on the way from the Possibles Shop and i recently acquired a nearly full can of FFg so the research will begin shortly.

Will these barrels converge at 75 yds? I dunno. Which begs the question - what if that 8 point she’s been seeing walks out of the timber at 27 yards? No matter how you look at it, if each barrel produces its own acceptable group, Bwana Wife may learn the wisdom of that old john Wayne movie quote, “windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation!”

don the gunbearer

Another custom double just sold here the other day and the comments in the ad were very interesting. A .530 rb mold is on the way from the Possibles Shop and i recently acquired a nearly full can of FFg so the research will begin shortly.

Will these barrels converge at 75 yds? I dunno. Which begs the question - what if that 8 point she’s been seeing walks out of the timber at 27 yards? No matter how you look at it, if each barrel produces its own acceptable group, Bwana Wife may learn the wisdom of that old john Wayne movie quote, “windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation!”

don the gunbearer
LOL - at 27 yards it won't matter ---- all you will see in the sight is hair - point and shoot!

Hahahaha... (ahem) well, frim what i’m reading, rb’s shoot better out of a slow twist barrek, ikay i knew that. I needed a .530 mold anyway, so it’s on the way. So, how fast are these barrels? I started a cleaning tip with a tight patch, measured 24” from the muzzle and marked the ramrod. Then i marked the end of the rod at the 12 o’clock position and slowly inserted the rod til i hit the 24” mark. At that point, it had rotated a leeetle bit more past 4 o’clock. Sounds like a 1/66 bore to ne so i’ll hold off on the conical mold for right now.

Still curious about that REAL bullet though...

don

From what I can find on it - the twist rate should be 1:48
It should shoot quite nicely with a tight patched roundball or a short conical.
I prefer the roundball for my .54 guns - even my 3 band Enfield.
They shoot great and will take just about anything you will find North America easily.

Bwana Wife would be exceedingly happy to find that cat i stopped her from shhoting last year. A guy abt four miles from where we hunt caught it on a game cam dragging a fawn a month or so ago, but it’ll be back to calves eventually. Wife just hasn’t thought to start calling this her “lion gun” and i’m not abt to help her think it up. Ought’a do the job, though...

Nice "shotgun"! Kudos.
She has a good eye - and stole it.
Have twice the fun.

Blew up the full picture as far as I could. It looks to me like yours has the register adjustment set screw in the muzzle band; there should be three. Apparently, not all of the CVA's had them but I don't know if it was an early or late run feature.

Last edited:
I think double rifles are not allowed in the PA muzzle loading season, but may be in the regular rifle season. Do other states allow double rifle muzzle loaders in their black powder season?

Nice "shotgun"! Kudos.
She has a good eye - and stole it.
Have twice the fun.

Blew up the full picture as far as I could. It looks to me like yours has the register adjustment set screw in the muzzle band; there should be three. Apparently, not all of the CVA's had them but I don't know if it was an early or late run feature.
It was a late run feature I believe.
I have an early one I think and no muzzle band or adjustment screw.

Cost me a damn sight more than $250 I can tell you!

I think double rifles are not allowed in the PA muzzle loading season, but may be in the regular rifle season. Do other states allow double rifle muzzle loaders in their black powder season?
The last time I checked, Arizona is very specific about legal muzzleloaders for use during the muzzleloading deer hunting season. Single barrels only. No double barrels.

Because we don't have a muzzleloading bird hunting season, double barrel smoothbores muzzle-loaders are allowed for bird hunting.

Last edited:
I'm reading through this thread and wondering why a state would not allow muzzleloading double rifles to be used during their muzzleloading season. Maybe I missed something.
This little beauty is illegal, but a stainless steel, plastic stocked rifle loaded up with a plastic-sabot rifle bullet over a few "sugar-cubes" of some kind of propellant with a 12 power riflescope mounted on it...is legal for muzzleloader season..??
I'm obviously missing something.

Back