• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 Investarm percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catof9tails

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This old alley cat bought a .54 Hawken percussion Investarm/Cabelas rifle today. Best I can tell, the gun was bought back in 1998 and sold with all the fixin's. Don't think the rifle has even been fired. It came with all the toys that were still in the factory wrapper plus three sealed cans of powder. The construction seems to be tight fitting and looks as good as TC rifle. I'm not that crazy about 1:48 twist, but figured this rifle would be a good shooter with round balls. I've only shot my Lyman 50 caliber Great Plains Hunter with 1:32 twist. So the cat is venturing into new territory.

The cat would like to hear some thoughts about this rifle. Is the rifle decent quality? What patch thickness is best (.10 or .15). What powder loads are suggested with ball and maxiball?

Thanks, Cat9

PS: Cat still waiting for a better price of the Purdey Rifle.

well now, Is it a "cabelas" hawkin? Or an "Investarms" hawkin? there is a differance. Is it the nickle/"chrome" plated bore or iron? Those firearms are the same as saying,,"I shoot a lyman.",or I shoot a T/C!

I understand yer new to what you figger is "slow-twst" but you cain't group guns like that and expect a real answer.

Tell ya what. Invest arms? and true accuracy? you need a patch alot heavier than .015!!

truth.
sorry moderators,,,,,I've done that,,? cant ya help???????????

The Cabela's Hawken is made by the same company(Investarms) that makes the Lyman Great Plains rifle.They are a well built rifle, and the ones i have had were accurate shooters. I don't think you will be dissapointed with it.

The Cabela's Hawken is made by the same company(Investarms) that makes the Lyman Great Plains rifle

No kinding? Investarms are Lyman'S? and Cabelas' are made by Investarms? And Cabels' Hawkin and Investarms Hawkin rifle are the same?
]
Do a little study. a feller should know about early T/C's, slow twist, 1:48, Investarms, Chrome, Iron,,,,,and a few otjher thing's

I know you guy's try hard,, and you really do a good job. But have you ever had in your hands in the same year an olde t/c? or an olde investarms kit hawkin? or a new cabelas hawkin? And a GPR/GPH?

I own an Investarms Hawken kit rifle. I also own a Thompson Center Hawken rifle. I have access to a Cabela's sporterized Hawken. I have not held a Lyman GPR though. What exactly am I supposed to be learning here? :hmm:

It might be just me, but it seems that all of my .54 caliber roundball shooting guns are more accurate than my .50s

I think you will be pleasently suprised with your new gun. Oh, the holes in the target are a lot easier to see too. ::

Now that the BMG.50 is getting widely known a .50 cal muzzleloader at the shooting range doesn't get the raised eyebrow looks it used to, but the .54 sure does.

"Holy Cow! That thing looks like it could kill an Elephant! I bet it would tear your arm off if you didn't shoot it right!" :: ::

Of course, if you say "I don't shoot Elephant any more now that Swiss is around." :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: Don't be suprised to hear them muttering something like "Swiss? Now why would that guy want to hunt the Swiss with that big gun?". :crackup: :crackup: :kid:

I know you guy's try hard,, and you really do a good job. But have you ever had in your hands in the same year an olde t/c? or an olde investarms kit hawkin? or a new cabelas hawkin? And a GPR/GPH?
:huh:

Pork Chop, I own a Lyman Trade Rifle and a Renegade. I used to have a GPR, and have handled a few Cabela's Hawkens. If you figure out what the point is, let me know too, please.

To the original poster, I always liked .54 calibers and I agree whole heartedly with Zonie that they seem to be more accurate, (maybe it's just harder for the target to get out of the way.) As for the Aw s___ responses when you go to the range, I'm not gonna say that I try to get those, but I bought a .58 and would love to get one of the Bess Carbines next ::.

On patches, your pretty much on your own as all guns seem to have their own preferrences regarding the patch and ball combo. Just get as many different thicknesses of patches as you can get your hands on and some .530" and .535" diameter balls and see which pairing gives you the best accuracy and isn't too difficult to load.

Oops, :sorry:, my guns are all flints, but I think once (or should I say IF? :haha:) the spark hits the main charge, it's pretty much the same thing.

Cat,

If you can't get patched R/B's to shoot accurately for you, don't over look the Buffalo Ballets. They are a conical, so you won't need patches, however they are very short and some find them very accurate in those med. twist barrels.

Larry

Well, guess I'll start out with this with so many different replys. The rifle is stamped as Investarms and Cabelas. It's an iron bore and is a Hawkin model with a 29" barrel. The barrel is stamped made in Italy. The purchase came with .10 cotton bullet patches, but have read on this forum about .15 pillow ticking patches. I was not sure which size to use. I know little about the round ball thing and thought this rifle would be a good teacher for the next purchase of a Lyman rifle with 1:60 twist.

Anyone have a good starting powder load for a 54 round ball?

Cat9

I am a big fan of the 54 caliber.For just general woodswalk shoots I use 60 grains of ff and a .15/18 patch with a 530 ball.My Investarm/Cabela's/Lyman 54 flint Hawken also does well with 75 grains ff.It is all three cause I swapped the 50 cal barrel with a Lyman trade gun 54 barrel.It was a drop in fit BTW.

The Cabelas Hawken and Investarms Hawken sold by Dixie are the exact same rifle. Cabelas also sells a sporterized Hawken with chrome lined barrel. Don't underestimate the 1 in 48" twist. I can't help with the .54, but my .50 cal Cabelas Hawken is the most accurate muzzleloader I own. The only thing I don't like are the Mickey Mouse sights, I have been meaning to change them but haven't got around to it yet.

Anyone have a good starting powder load for a 54 round ball?

Start at 50 grains and work up. Mine usually shoot pretty good around 60-80 grains of FFg, and I've had good luck with 50-60 grains of FFFg.

Static is right on the money. Start at 50 grains and work up. Mine seems to most accurate for paper work at 50 grains and 75 grains for deer hunting. I also shoot 3F rather than 2F but I have taked to some that report their gun shoots better with 2F so you might want to try both. Just remember 3F produces more presure than 2F so adjust for that.

Just my experience...for whatever reason the gun seemed to settle down and shoot better after a couple of hundred rounds.

PD

Cat ... whether this might be of help or not, I shoot a .54 caliber Lyman Trade Rifle which is made by Investarms. I have looked at my rifle and a Cabela's Hawkins and other then missing some fancy brass they are very similar. My rifle also has the 1:48 twist barrel. The real difference is mine is a flintlock. In fact the rifle comes with an Investarms Manual and a Lyman Rifle Manual. I guess we are allowed to choose which one we want to trust because some of the information in them is a little different.

I was shooting mine yesterday from the .50 yard line. I know I have to adjust the sights more, but I am always kind of cautious about doing that. I know my rifle shoots to the right.

I was shooting 100 grains of Goex 2f and a cotton pillow tick patch with moosemilk lube and a Buffalo Bullet .530 ball. A friend of mine with a micrometer or caliper (what ever he called it) said my 100% cotton blue strip patch strip measures.. .017 if that makes sense.

traderiflePOI.jpg

Once I determined where the rifle was hitting, I then shot my group from a bench rest. I was more then happy with how accurate the rifle is since most of my hunting shots are closer then this.

After shooting at the 3"x5" index card I then got some oranges that turned into science experiments (if you know what I mean) and brought them outside. I set a soda can up and rested the orange on top. The trick was not to hit the soda can. When I held a 8 o'clock site and touched it .. the orange would explode...

They really are a great shooting rifle. I have shot roundball, and even powerbelts out of this thing with excellent results...

Nice shooting! I am glad to hear that the barrel settles down. I figured it would. At this point I have less than a dozen shots through mine and I am pleased with how it is closing up. I figured that another 20 or so shots and it would be ready to do serious target practice.

Porkchop,

Here's a link to Badger Barrels and Ernie Stallman's break-in recommendations for a new one. He says that new barrels should be kept cool, waiting at least 5 minutes between shots. There are instructions for jacketed and non-jacketed projectiles. He says that this break-in will prevent the barrel from "walking" as it heats up.

Badger Barrels

Jimbo

I believe there was an issue with some of these guns a couple of years back. The tang was being driven back under recoil and causing stock splits. I am not sure about specifics, but I think the recommendation was to bed the rear of the barrel/tang reciever area to prevent the problem from even being possible. Other than that, everything I have heard has been positive, even about the 24 inch barreled guns.

Thanks guys! I shoot very slowly. Take a shot, walk to the target, check things out, walk back, get a good drink of Sweet Tea, then consider loading and shooting. To shoot 8 shots on Thursday took an hour...

Many thanks for the info. I'll give them powder loads a try and work up from that. Sounds like I need to ditch the .10 cotton bullet patches for the .15 pillow ticking. Guess I've got some shootin' to do and a lot of tuning. I hope this BP rifle works out.

Thanks!

Cat9

Back