• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 vs. .56 smoothbores...let's Speculate !!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure Roundball...

I'm having a hell of time right now trying to get the State to let us have the option to continue the use of of our muzzleloaders (rifled) during our shotgun season. It makes no sense not to let us, now that shotguns are no longer smoothbore only....There maybe a min gauge/cal sticking point that needs to be addressed. But I suspect its all political.

Try pointing out that its legal in Massachusetts so long as you have a primative firearm stamp to use a muzzleloader during shotgun season.

I have a .56 T/C and being from MA I bought it from an older gentleman who bought it specificaly for our unique season :youcrazy: (smoothbore only). I love the gun and with .550 balls and a tight patch it is dead on inside 100 yards. It took me a year and a day to find a mold for the balls, but now that I have 2 molds(plenty of ball :winking: ). I have no need for anything else. She shoots lead shot great too, a nice tight long collum with #4 shot and 65 grains of pyrodex RS.

I had one of those for a while, wish I still did. It was extremely accurate with 90ffG and a .535 ball patched with old denim material. I had it rifled to .58 caliber, but I miss the smoothie.

I had one once myself and it was also accurate using Warren .550's but sold it when I switched everything over to Flint.

This GM .54cal Flint smoothbore barrel I recently got is a tack driver with 70grns Goex 3F, oxyoke wonderwad, .015" patch, and a Hornady .530.

One of the things I like about it compared to the .56cal I had, is that the GM Flint barrel is 6" longer at 33" (throws a terrific pattern of #6's too)

Claypipe said:
Not sure Roundball...

I'm having a hell of time right now trying to get the State to let us have the option to continue the use of of our muzzleloaders (rifled) during our shotgun season. It makes no sense not to let us, now that shotguns are no longer smoothbore only....There maybe a min gauge/cal sticking point that needs to be addressed. But I suspect its all political.

Try pointing out that its legal in Massachusetts so long as you have a primative firearm stamp to use a muzzleloader during shotgun season.

No need for a primitive firearms stamp to use muzzleloader or bow during shotgun season in Ma. , you do need to wear your pumpkin suit though. Archers do need a primitive firearms stamp to hunt muzzleloader.

From the abstracts:

During shotgun season hunters may use shotguns not larger than 10 gauge, bows and arrows, or muzzleloaders, including modern muzzleloaders, muzzleloaders with telescopic sights, and sabot rounds in muzzleloaders, including hinge action muzzleloaders. During shotgun and muzzleloader seasons all deer hunters must wear a minimum of 500 square inches of "hunter orange" on their head, chest, and back. This includes archers hunting during either season (see page 10).

Muzzleloader Season - Limited to shoulder-fired muzzleloaders .44 to .775 caliber; barrel length 18" or more with only one barrel operative. In-line ignition systems permitted providing rifle loads from muzzle. Hinge action muzzleloaders are not legal. Single projectile only (no buckshot). Sabot rounds, 209 primers and scopes are legal. Powder limited to black powder or approved substitutes. Firearm is considered unloaded when cap or pan powder is removed. Stamp required. An antlerless deer permit is required by muzzleloader hunters in order to take an antlerless deer. Archers may hunt during the muzzleloader firearms season but must purchase a primitive firearms stamp and wear at least 500 square inches of hunter orange on head, back and chest.

STAMPS: Archery Stamp ($5.10), required to hunt deer with a bow from Oct. 17 - Nov. 26. Stamp must be signed across the face in ink and attached to the rear of the license.

Primitive Firearms Stamp ($5.10 each), required to hunt deer with a muzzleloader or with archery equipment Dec.12 - 31. Stamp must be signed across the face in ink and attached to the rear of the license.

Boy, life is sure good here in North Carolina.

Each year I buy one statewide combination Hunting/Fishing license for $40 bucks and can hunt archery from early September through New Year's Day.

Muzzleloader week is at the beginning of the general firearms seasons, which also run through New Year's Day.

Bow and muzzleloaders can be used right on through all the firearms seasons.

The Sportsman's License has many tags with it such as 4 bucks, 2 does, 2 turkeys, a wild boar, etc...price also includes access to hunt state game lands...and we have large, growing deer and turkey populations.

That's a lot of privilige for a couple of $20 bills !

(No I'm sorry...the borders are closed...nobody else can move here :grin: )

As long as we're speculating, how about this? I know that T/C had the Big Boar in .58 caliber about the same time as the .56 Renegade smoothie. What is the land to land measurement of the .58? maybe they just used a .58 barrel and didn't rifle it?

SCATTERSHOT said:
As long as we're speculating, how about this? I know that T/C had the Big Boar in .58 caliber about the same time as the .56 Renegade smoothie. What is the land to land measurement of the .58? maybe they just used a .58 barrel and didn't rifle it?

Actually the .56 SB came out and was discontinued before the .58 Big Boar came out.

(A .56 would be like a .54 without it's lands)

In addition, I put that very question to TC back when we first started discussing this and they said the .56 SB was designed and built from the ground up just like that...no converted barrels,[url] etc...made[/url] for hunters in the state of Mass. due to a specific state law.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, back to square one, I guess. I wonder why .56? Seems like if you were drilling a hole, it would be easier to drill one of a size you already used rather than make up a whole new one, though, doesn't it? Maybe the .56 didn't sell, and that's where the idea for the Big Boar came from. Just add rifling, and presto!

Back