• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennyfell55

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What kinds of game would all of you be willing to hunt with a .54? Biggest game... smallest game... that kind of thing. Looking foreward to see what different people think :)

Elk or moose, black bears for biggest. Rabbits squirrels, gophers for the smallest. Load it up a bit for the big stuff, and down for the small stuff.

Anything from whitetail deer to those pesky pieces of paper with them bullseyes on 'em. :rotf:

Well, Jenny, I have applied for licences for Muzzleloading ORYX, ELK, and will buy OTC-bear and deer for this year. I will be using my .53 Hawken. I feel it is more than adequate for anything that roams in New Mexico.

Bill

Jerry
I have taken deer and Elk. No Bear as yet. No cripples as yet either. Take good shots at 80 yards or less. All heart or lung shots, no neck shots.

A .54 can be loaded up or down as needed. It is ideal for larger game and many states restrict what calibers can be used for various game. The concern is that one not be out hunting squirrels and take deer when the opportunity arises.

Some people also take predators such as coyotes with .54s.

I use my .54 for deer and hogs, but I live in the South where larger game does not exist. I might consider using my .54 when going after bear someday in a neighboring state.

CS

I intend to use my new .54 on bear, elk and deer. I have other rifles/smoothies for other game. It replaces my .58 I traded off as my big game rifle. I can't see popping squirrels with a .54 if you want to eat them--I know it can be done, but it seems a waste of lead and powder. My little .32 handles small game with a tiny lead pill and 20 gr fffg. For bigger varmints I have .40, ,45 and .50 rifles.

Mike Roberts said:
I intend to use my new .54 on bear, elk and deer. I have other rifles/smoothies for other game. It replaces my .58 I traded off as my big game rifle. I can't see popping squirrels with a .54 if you want to eat them--I know it can be done, but it seems a waste of lead and powder. My little .32 handles small game with a tiny lead pill and 20 gr fffg. For bigger varmints I have .40, ,45 and .50 rifles.

That's true, but owning a second rifle is a 100% waste of wood and metal whenever you leave one home.
:haha:

You are most likely right about the second rifle being a waste, Hey you should see all the waste I have and I bet you do also. :winking: Rocky

Went out after black bear last year with mine. Got one, not a big one, but I'd a shot a big one given the oppurtunity. I would probably draw the line at elk with a .54.

Back