• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54cal(28ga) Early Virginia Smoothbore spoke this afternoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Managed to get another Doe today. It rained all last night and today, tapered off to a drizzle by mid-afternoon so I decided to go. Got in place around 3:00pm, and about 5:20 (10 minutes before dark) I saw movement out off through the trees. Two Does coming along the trail they use exiting a big bedding area...quartering sort of my way right to left. When they got into a more open area about 40yds away in front of me I whistled, they stopped, and I dropped one with a high shoulder shot.
.54cal (28ga) Early Virginia Smoothbore
90grns Goex 3F / .022” Oxyoke patch / Hornady .520” ball

Biggest Doe this year, and after the 40yd drag over to the loggers road, I knew I couldn’t drag it a few hundred yards to the highway”¦ so I punched my tag, drove the Trailblazer in on the loggers road, loaded her up, then on my way home dropped her off to a needy family who takes them.
That’s 5 Does, but I’m still snake-bit”¦have not had a shooter buck in my sights all this year.
Have 8 days left to try and get a buck, but if I don’t I won’t complain”¦been a good hunting season overall.

(toned down the bright red using 'Red-Eye Removal' tool)

5 does and whining! Poor baby! :wink: :haha:

Seriously, RB, you're making me feel like a dead-beat. Being out snookered by Blackbucks and daft squirrels! :doh: Good going and congratulations!

Congratulations once again! :hatsoff:

Not many mature bucks have been seen by folks I have talked too here in VA (including myself) either.

LOL...not whining...I love hunting and love watching them fall in front of a Flintlock so I'm good with it...just a little frustrating to have been averaging 5-6 hunts each and every week since November 2nd, and still haven't had the good fortune of being able to line up on a good buck...saw a few spikes/cowhorns/forkies. But the only shooter I've seen was December 12th an 8-10 pointer was picking his way through the woods...the left side of his rack had already dropped off...and I didn't have a shot because of so many trees.

My hats off to you Sir! One for a nice shot on the doe and mostly to the donation to the needy family! Merry Christmas and may a record buck wander into your sights. :hatsoff:

:thumbsup: Been having fun pestering you and liking your style since back in the old "Hide" days. I admire your ability to enjoy what you're doing and sharing what God gives us all! Like the guys aross the 'big' pond say, "Good on yah". :wink:

Boy, do I envy your hunting season. You are doing well, and other than making measures out of antlers, I'd rather put a doe in the freezer anyway. Good shooting!

Good job Roundball, doing it with the smoothbore makes it even nicer. I am still doe hunting with my flinter during the regular rifle season until Jan 5. I did see two does running for their lives last Sunday morning. I did not get a clear shot even when they stopped. I was kinda disappointed and a couple of minutes later I saw what their hurry was, a nice 3 1/2 year old 8 pt was in hot pursuit. He was running them into a 15 mile an hour wind so he did a lot of running back and forth. I blew my grunt call to further confuse the situation for him. He didn't get close enough either, good thing I already shot my bucks. So the rut is still on for some that just cant seem to make themselves quit. I was thinking later it would have sucked to have dropped one of those does and still had a buck tag.

I have really become a fan of smoothbores over the years...for my hunting in thick woods with 99% of the shots 50yds or less, they don't lack anything compared to hunting with a rifle.

Very nice! Great shot and what a good thing donating that deer to a deserving family that can really use her.

Flint Hunter said:
Congratulations once again! :hatsoff:

Yes, congratulations on another successful hunt. You're fortunate to hunt in an area with plentiful game.

Not many mature bucks have been seen by folks I have talked too here in VA (including myself) either.
I hunted a few days in the early MLer season in Va and took a mature buck. I had seen several there prior to the season, but only saw that one, big bodied, 8 pointer while actually hunting. I hope to get a few more days in before the end of the season 1/4/14. If I can't put sights on the biggun that I've been seeing for several years, I'll not pull the trigger. There aren't enough does and young bucks around to tempt me, and I'm allowed 5 more. The hemmoragic disease outbreak last year did have an impact on the number of deer that I've seen. In 5 seasons, I've pulled the trigger twice, and passed lotsa bucks and does. The population isn't nuisance status....

Roundball- I want to do a TVM 54/28-- what barrel is used-- 7/8 0r 15/16? Is it swamped? What is the weight?

Back