• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 cal ideal powder load and info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawken Dan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to know what an ideal load would be for a 58 cal,Using FFg for main load type and round ball on my flinter, 36" barrel full stock.

Some folks say to use FFFg for priming and some say FFFFg.I do not want to have to buy too many different types of powder. :shocked2:

Maybe a contrast between different game, like
What would you use for a nice Bull Elk, what to use maybe for Mule deer or White tail deer, Moose and Bear. I would say under 100 yards is where I would like to be. :thumbsup:

I have a few more parts to get still before my baby will looks like anything.

Also if anyone can let me know any real good book to get for doing ingraving on my stock.

Thanks for your input,

Daniel

I prefer 4f for priming.

Only your rifle can tell you what it's ideal load is. I'd shoot 2f Goex. You'll have to try different charges, patches, balls, and lubes to see what she'll shoot best with.

HD

4F is normally NOT used as a main charge.
Yes, behind a dry ball you can push in 20-30 grains of 4F, but it is not recommended for use as a main charge where charges would be large than that.

Suggest you stay with 2F of 3F for main charges.

TC's load data charts in the back of their owner's manual lists 80 to 120grns Goex 2F for their round ball loads.

If you'd like to use 3F instead, the rule of thumb is to reduce 2F load data by 10-15%.

I hunt in fairly heavy woods where the typical shot is 25-50yds and just use a mid range charge of 100grns Goex 2F in a 33" GM Flint barrel.plus an Oxyoke prelubed overpowder wad, .018" pillow ticking, Hornady .570"..very accurate and even though a mid range charge, has serious "whompability".

My .58 sports a 34" barrel, my load is a .570 ball in a bear oil/deer tallow lubed .024 patch on top of 90 gr 3F. I would not hesitate to use that load on any of the animals you listed within my comfort zone which is 75 yards.

I always have used 3F for prime and if you can down load this vid and watch it, it's my .58 being lit off by 3F. :thumbsup:
http://www.nimrodsplace.com/video/neriflefirstshot.wmv

Last edited by a moderator:
Hawken Dan
I use 2F in may 31" Colerain Radius cut swamped barrel. This gun has a Chambers vent liner and uses the Jack Haugh 1750 lock 7/8s flint.

For very accurate loads. I use the .024 patch and a .570 ball. This load must be started with a hammer. For the same load for fast start I use the .012 denim patch all lubed with Hoppe's Black Powder Plus. The .024 patch is Walmarts Blue Duc.

For charges 25Yds. 50Grs. 2F, 50yds 2F, 60 Grs. 100 yds. 90Grs. 2F. These are all target loads. For hunting loads Elk, Mule Deer at 100 yds to 120 yds. 110 Grs.2F. For hunting 2F works fine in the pan and does better in wet weather than 3F or 4F.
For target loads on the range I use 4F or Null B to prime the pan.
If your rifle burns up the .012 patch with hunting loads go to a .562 ball this will allow more patch. The lee double .562 mold is under $20.00. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for all your advice and info.I will try out a few different ways and let you all know how it comes out.

Daniel

You are going to have to see what your gun likes for the best powder/patch/ball combo. I have a .58 fullstock Hawken I built a couple of years ago that I use mostly to target competition. I use 50 grains 3F, a .562 ball and heavy denim patching for 25 and 50 yards and 90 grains 3F for 100 yards and hunting. For my flinters I use 4F to prime for target work but use 3F for prime for hunting. The 3F picks up much less moisture than 4F. A big help when you are keeping the prime in the pan for hours at a time.

I have not used this rifle for hunting yet but I used to use a Navy Arms Hawken Hunter in .58 many years ago. A .562 RB with 90 grains of 3F would go all the way through the chest of an elk at 70 yards.

Latest posts

Back