• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58 Colonial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought that I would post some pictures of last weekends shooting.

I've shooting muzzleloaders since 1998. Percussion up until a little over a year or so. I had wanted to try flintlocks, just never did. After finding this forum and joining I kept reading about them. So I finally took that step.

After saving up the cash to buy one.I just wasn't sure what style, caliber, rifled,or smooth. I hunt deer, turkey, hog and yes, squirrels.

I had a few rifles and a SxS 12ga. So I was covered for whichever hunt went on.
Again, due to the great post on the thread I also read alot about smoothbores.

So I decided on the Colonial .58 caliber Smoothbore Flintlock. Shooting flintlocks and smoothbores both are new to me. All I ever shot out of my 12ga was #4, #5, #6, shot, and some buck shot.

Shooting round balls, flint, and smooth were all pretty new to me. So last weekend it took it out for some shooting.

My target was just over 25 yards.
I shot some patched balls and some bare balls. I had tight groups with the bare ball vs. Patched balls. If I get out tomorrow I'll set up at 50 yards. I never was a long distance shooter. Where I hunt most of my areas are 50 yards or less. After I get it where I want it and feel confident with shooting RBs I'll figure out a shot load for my squirrel and turkey hunting.

Here are the results.

I want to thank everyone on this forum for posting. It has helped me to step further in the Muzzleloading Rabbit Hole.

Take Care Stay Safe

GSML

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240824_061003_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240824_061003_Gallery.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240824_055741_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240824_055741_Gallery.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240824_055735_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240824_055735_Gallery.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 0