• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58 Curley Maple Scores on 1st Shot.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssorrell

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Went out early this morning with my .58 Curley Maple. Gusty winds and single digit wind chill made for a great still hunting opportunity. Hit the woods 45 min before sunrise to be in position for the stalk once the sun was completely up. I had an idea that due to the gusty winds out of the W/NW deer would likely be bedding down in a sheltered creek gully that is so thick with thorns and briers even a rabbit can't run through it. The recent snowfall had made for a very scenic hunt in the woods but the low temps had made the snow extremely crunchy. I timed my steps to the wind gusts and successfully made my way to the edge of the gully. My hunch paid off and there were 4 does bedded below and 20 yards south of my location. The next gust of wind must have taken a slightly different path because all four deer stood up looking around. BOOM! Curley did its job with authority and the doe wobbled a few yards and dropped.
I have had a great season with my blackpowder rifles! Good luck to all!
Sean
image-6.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I shoot 80gr fffg under a round ball and patch in the .58.

Good story and great pic. I wish I had the patience to still hunt. The deer around here seem to have super powers, I just get frustrated.

Nice looking rifle too.

All those guys that stayed at home got exactly what the deserve.
Hunting in challenging weather makes success just a little bit sweeter. Congratulations on a job well done and a trophy well earned.

PJC

Latest posts

Back