• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58 roundballer loads.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This looks like the place to ask questions about hunting loads.
I have an American Jeager built by birddog6. It's got a Colrain swamped barrel in caliber .58, roundball flinter of course.
Birddog regulated the sights about dead on at 50 yards and he used (I think) 75 grains of 2fg.
I'll likely use Elephant 2fg but was wondering if any of you have experience with this caliber and what makes a good hunting load?
I'd guess 75 grains is enough poop with that size ball out to around a hundred yards.
Suggestions.
Musketman: What loads do you use in your Bess?

Musketman: What loads do you use in your Bess?

I use 100 to 150 grains of FFg with a .735 round ball and a .015 pillow tick patch, lubed with #13...

Sometimes, I will use a .715 round ball and a .020 patch, everything else the same...

I do have a .58 zouave, and I have shot round balls out of it... I ran 70 grains of FFg below a patched .560 round ball lubed with #13...

A friend has a .58 Hawken with a 32" Sharon barrel I" diameter. His hunting load is 200 grs. 3F and a PRB. When he first told me this I thought, "wow that's heavy" but
I've shot this rifle many times with this load and it shoots
great, he's killed a lot of deer and elk with it. I've chronographed it at over 2100 fps. He's been using that load for over 20 yrs. Not suggesting you shoot this or even that it's necessary to use a load this heavy but it works for him, for 25 yd. targets he uses 25 grs. 3F. Just posting to show that different shooters have different ideas
about loads, your rifle builder should be able to give you some advice.

200 grains of 3fg has GOT to be a gross overload and way past the point of dimishing returns.
I doubt I'll go much over 100 grains in my .58 bore.
I have no doubt of the power of such a load but I question the sense of it.
Don't EVER tell your friend about Swiss powder. If he uses 200 grains of Swiss 3fg I think somethings gonna come loose real quick. :no:

I have a Green Mountain .58 caliber 32" drop in for my Renegade coming from Track of the Wolf. I was told by Green Mountain Barrel Co. 90-110 grains a .015 patched 280 grain round ball .570 in diameter and it is a sledge hammer in the woods. I can hardly wait to get it and shoot it.

cyugad:
Keep us posted on your loads and accuracy.
I agree about the .58 being a sledgehammer on game.
Mine is a Jeager flinter and I STILL haven't had time to shoot it.
I orta retire! :curse:

FYI...TC's owner's manual publishes 80grns-120grns FFg as the range of loads for their .58cal round ball.

From a liability standpoint they surely have a very good safety margin built in beyond the published 120grns.

I'm probably going to sight in my new GM .58cal Flint barrel with 100grns Goex FFg for deer hunting...
and try 60grns FFFg or 70grns FFg for range practice

Thanks for the infor on published loads. Let us know how your rifle shoots.
I was going to shoot tomorrow but the 8" of snow we got in N.E. Ohio put a stop to that. :curse:

Maxi,.... I been shoot'n .562 roundballs (actualy "mike" .565) with .020 denum patchs, 100 grs. Goex FFG.

AND,.... .575 roundballs with .018 pillow-tick'n patchs, and 90 grs. Goex FFG.

On a good day I git sub-2" groups at 100 yards with either combo, from my .58 Early Hawken fullstock with 36"x1" barrel, shoot'n off cross-sticks and open-iron sights.

50 yard "one hole" groups ain't nuthin unusual 'cause I can see tha bullesye a liddle better!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

To be honest, I think with a liddle more work and maybe some .570 balls, I'll even git the 100 yard group a liddle smaller, jest gotta git me a .570 mold 'fore I know fer sure!! :: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

rollingb:
Yup, 90 grains sound about right for and all round hunting load. Birddog6 regulated the sights with 75 grains and he sent me pics of the targets. 15/16" at 50 yards so I 'spect with a liddle load work it'll be a tack driver.

Back