• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58cal Flintlock Debut

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Unbelieveably accurate...test fired the new .58cal Green Mountain Flint barrel this morning (TC Hawken drop-in):
80grns Goex FFg
OxYoke prelubed wonder wads
Speer .570 balls
Oxyoke .015" prelubed patches

Got it sighted in and it shoots a ragged hole at 50yds... the grooves are very deep in this GM round ball barrel and the patches were in perfect shape so it doesn't seem to have any rough or sharp spots in it, etc.

Not too shabby for an out of the box, low cost, mass produced barrel to dial right in and shoot 50yd ragged holes first trip to the range.

Yep, ain't it great when things go right... :winking: :: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I ordered the same barrel, so this is good news. Perhaps mine will be here any day. Where did you get the ox-yoke wonder wads from?

I will be looking for more shooting reports.. thanks

OxYoke wonder wads are available from most every supplier... not sure where I got my latest batch from...I think it might have been October Country...I've developed the habit of not only using wonder wads in everything I shoot, but actually using the next larger caliber size in a given rifle in the belief that a tighter fitting wad would give a better seal & lube job...ie: 62's in the 58, 58's in the 54, .54's in the 50, and .50's in the 45.
Not backed by any science mind you, but I enjoy shooting my entire range sessions without having to wipe between shots so for right now, that's how I do it.

The larger sized 62cal(.20ga) wonder wads are a little more pricey than the actual .58cal size, and the .58's probably do just as well in a 58...but it's just an approach I got started doing and so far have continued it...I won't be shooting the big .58cal year round like I will the smaller calibers anyway

The problem with smae size when shooting a round ball, it the pressure will collapse the outside edge of the patch, and prevent it from contacting the bore. The Oversize patch might just be the only answer here. It would 'fill' the void arund the perifery of the ball. The same-size will work only PROPERLY with flat based bullets.
: Many of us don't use wads unless we're shooting a shotgun or shot loads in the rifle. The extra step inloading doesn't seem to be necessary as a good patch/ball combo doesn't need any protection or extra lube.
; I can see using one though, in some hunting conditions, or if you wanted to use a very loose combo, yet prevent it from burning through. It is possible, the less marked ball would be more accurate at 150 to 200yds for target shooting.
: I've heard the Walters veggie wads do as well, and are a LOT cheaper. The same price, about, but there's a thousand in the bag instead of 100.
Daryl

When I use the next caliber sized wonder wad and then pick them up off the ground, the pressure seems to have compressed them flat outward into the grooves because they look like little "gears" with land / groove indentations around the edges...

Walter's Veggie Wads? Never heard of them...can you elaborate...are they lubed...what kind of lube, etc?

roundball that green mountain barrel what does it measure 15/16 across the flats or 1 inch.
Next question on the greem mountain drop in barrel does it come with a new rear tang?

I got the one inch version made to drop into an existing .54/.58cal size Hawken stock...it did not include a tang.

(PS: overall length with breechplug installed is 33", with adjustable rear & bead front sights...black ramrod & black thimbles which can be replaced with brass ones if you want)

Thanks much for the information round ball. I will punch out some 5/8th wads (.625 diameter) and get them ready for when the barrel gets here. Needless to say, you have me excited about the barrel now, I want to get shooting. Mine is a cap lock instead of a flint lock.

Sounds as if the larger Wonder Wads are doing the sealing well. The Vegetable Fibre wads only come in rifle cals. to .50 cal. if appears, but that might be because Track only carries them to that size. I'm certain Ross Seyfried got them to 12 or 10 bore which would indicate they come in larger than .510".
: They aren't lubed.

Daryl

Back