• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58cal roundball for elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaaahh, you shoulda said that to begin with! :grin: Just about everyone who ever hunted 7 and 8 know the elk are huge there and take a minimum .75 cal round ball to kill. I'd like to hunt elk there, but my big gun is only a .54 so I only hunt antelope in 7 and 8. They are giants too and the .54 is minimum for antelope in those units!! :surrender:

For a PRB, I wouldn't hunt elk with anything less that a 58+ cal. Elk are tough and I would not be that confident even in a 58, it would be a minimum. Ron

I must be doing something wrong,"minimum of 58 cal" . Since 1969, I have been hunting with a 50 cal. I hunt Rocky Mt. elk in Eastern Oregon.. I can't even tell U how many elk I have taken. Every year is not a success, but I can tell U that it has been more than a hand full. Have never lost one, that I have hit. Missed several. Have never shot at anything over about 70 yards. In the timber, on the ridge where I hunt, U just can't get a clean shot further than that. Horsethief

Many people use .50 and .54 for Elk with RB out to 100 yds and do very well, the key is judgeing range and shot placement,there are RB hunters and there are those who do not have confidence in them each must make their own choice, check this and past posts on this topic of killing Elk and you will find a lot of RB Elk hunters, many who don't use them or feel confident with them have never tried them most likely and they should not if the comfort zone is not there.

My load for my 54cal is 100gr FFG and .530 roundball. I would not hesitate taking that for elk if I did not have my 58cal. A 50cal might be pushing it but it would get the job done for elk.

A rifle is effective within a certain range and each rifle has it's own effective range that comes with its load. You just have to know the effective range for your rifle and load.

tg said:
Many people use .50 and .54 for Elk with RB out to 100 yds and do very well, the key is judgeing range and shot placement,there are RB hunters and there are those who do not have confidence in them each must make their own choice, check this and past posts on this topic of killing Elk and you will find a lot of RB Elk hunters, many who don't use them or feel confident with them have never tried them most likely and they should not if the comfort zone is not there.
:thumbsup:

Sharp Shooter said:
My load for my 54cal is 100gr FFG and .530 roundball. I would not hesitate taking that for elk if I did not have my 58cal. A 50cal might be pushing it but it would get the job done for elk.

A rifle is effective within a certain range and each rifle has it's own effective range that comes with its load. You just have to know the effective range for your rifle and load.

:thumbsup:

Back