• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.60 GETZ ball-patch combination

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter hawbaker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just received a longrifle with a Getz .60 7 groove barrel. Would like to know if anybody else is shooting a Getz .60 and what patch-ball combination you are using. TOW sizes jump from .575 to .595, might have to order a custom ball mould.

I've been working up a load for my .60 Jaeger. The .575 was what I've been using but is smaller than I like. I've got a .585 mould coming from Jeff Tanner in England. His prices are very reasonable. I'll let you know how it works out.

I was looking at his site, looks like very nice moulds. I would order one in a heartbeat if I knew what size to order. I may try the .595s from TOW, but have a feeling it will be a very tight fit in this barrel, even though I shoot .535s in all my .54s. I think the smaller grooves in an odd number in this barrel will make a .010 to .015 smaller ball optimum. Another thought I had was getting the barrel recut to .62, not sure if Getz or Rayl could do that or not. I know they can recut barrels, but am not sure if they can enlarge it by a small increment without the rifling causing problems. Will be anxious to hear how your mould works out for you.

I wouldn't use anything larger than a .590. I would try out what Mike Brooks suggested. I think you'll be surprised how well it shoots without having to use a sledge hammer to load. If you can get your hands on some balls in slightly larger diameter with various patching material, it might make for a nice comparison.

Dixie, Stone Creek, Log Cabin or Eddie May might ahve balls in different diamters for you to try.

Eddie May in Georgia has cast round balls. Buy in bulk & you can save a lot in cost & shipping as they have a USPS box you can ship under 70# for $ 10 or 11.00
Eddie May Round Balls
159 Ridley Rd.
Chatsworth, GA. 30705
706-581-8225

The other suppliers have web sites that can be accessed through a simple search.

I have a Getz, .60cal barrel.

It shoots great, one ragged hole, with a .595 ball and a .020 patch. Muzzle is coned so it loads easily.

You'll like it a lot

Thanks for all your input, went ahead and ordered 100 .595s to try. If they are too tight, I will just use them in my .62 smoothbore and get a smaller mould.

Hope you have better luck with ordering the .595's than I did. The .595 from TOW turned out to measure anywhere from .588 to .591. I already have a .590 mold. so they were'nt much help.

Back