• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.62 smoothie loads for squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Lasley

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got my .62 TVM fowler. just looking for advice on a good squirrel load.
Ive always shot cap and ball this my first flinter wished i would have bought one sooner..

I use 75 gr. 3f, over powder card, 1/2 cushion wad, 1 1/4 oz. #5 shot, over shot card. Seems to do a good job on the big fox squirrels around here. Fox squirrels are tough to kill, so that is why I use #5 shot. If you are hunting smaller squirrels #6 shot will probably work just as well.

Steve, first ...welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

Our Hoosier squirrels can be some pretty gritty customers, so I would recommend patterning your gun to find the densest patterns possible.

Whatever that load is comprised of, is what I would recommend.

You might try putting an "over powder card", over your shot. It's counterintuitive, but, tightens my patterns in my smoothbores.

Many have found that a full cushion wad over the powder makes holes in the center of patterns. If your gun is like this, just use a hard (nitro) card with no cushion or a partial cushion wad.

Good luck and leave some squakkers for seed. :haha:

Best regards, Skychief.

Even the grays are tough so I prefer size #4 to #6. I feel that 60 grains of 3F or 70 grains of 2F is plenty. Of course those charges can be played with.

My Virginia smooth rifle in .62 likes 50 grs of 2F, two lubed 1/8" wool felt wads (I use oxyoke), 1 1/4 oz of #6 chilled lead shot, 2 thin overshot cards. I have killed big Fox squirrels out 20 to 25 yards with that load.

Every gun is different, so play around, get a good pattern, and have fun.

Here's a couple of "primer photos" just to whet your appetite! :grin:

011815 Squirrel Hunt at 911 Point 1 by Mike

011815 Squirrel Hunt at 911 Point 11 by Mike

Thanks for the welcome and the help. Those pictures really did wet my appetite.. cant wait for squirrel season!

Read Spence's thoughts on all forms of muzzleloading hunting. My years of banging my head against tree trunks have come up virtually indentical results. I personl take is that everyyone stararting out flinting should have his sage advice! :wink:
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back