• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buckshot Loads in a Smoothie?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As others have said, #4 buckshot works great for close range coyotes.
Buckshot is NOT for use on waterfowl.
Lead projectiles of any size are illegal for waterfowl. That's federal law. (some game wardens carry a magnet to check your shot)
Lead can usually be used for upland game, but even then, check your state regulations. Some wildlife management areas allow lead for squirrels, rabbits, pheasant, etc., but others do not.
Some states allow buckshot for coyotes or deer. Probably most do not. I grew up in a state where buckshot is legal for deer. I now live in Tennessee where buckshot is illegal, not only for deer, and coyotes, but for anything. Not sure, since I don't use it, but I think "T" shot is the largest shot that can be used here in Tennessee for coyotes.

So, as for how many buckshot pellets you load, only experimentation will find the correct result. Is your smoothbore muzzleloader choked? Wad under and over the shot? Some other combination? Powder? 3F? 2F? 60 grains? 70 grains? More? You must try a lot of different combinations until you find what works best for you in your particular firearm.
Just be sure to check your state regulations for what is legal and what is not. This could all be just a moot point if buckshot is illegal in Colorado.
Thanks. If I had to for some reason I have the info. I haven't hunted waterfowl since I was a kid. It's been all big game living in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.

Thanks. If I had to for some reason I have the info. I haven't hunted waterfowl since I was a kid. It's been all big game living in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.
As a fellow Coloradan who follows the changes in the regs, it's a fact that it's not legal for waterfowl. It's a federal reg. I haven't seen any other restrictions other than for waterfowl but would not be surprised to see it come about if it hasn't already.

Buckshot also not permitted for any big game or turkeys. Suppository or ML. Probably ok for coyotes and maybe some other small game but of course small game/buckshot is a bit incongruous. 😉

Alright my friends, I have a question about loading a smoothie with buckshot for geese. Is that doable?
Is there a limit on the the number of balls or weight? Would the powder charge be equivalent to the same in a round ball of the same weight?
Lead is illegal to use in US for waterfowl. I would use Bismuth BB shot. It’s almost as heavy as lead and will not damage your barrel. Also with BB you will get a lot more shot in your load than buckshot thus improving your pattern. Good luck!!

Lead is illegal to use in US for waterfowl. I would use Bismuth BB shot. It’s almost as heavy as lead and will not damage your barrel. Also with BB you will get a lot more shot in your load than buckshot thus improving your pattern. Good luck!!
Thank you!

Alright my friends, I have a question about loading a smoothie with buckshot for geese. Is that doable?
Is there a limit on the the number of balls or weight? Would the powder charge be equivalent to the same in a round ball of the same weight?
There is no limit..It won't turn into a pipe bomb. I've shot AA batteries out of mine...

Attachments

• IMG_20240827_131812_719_edited.jpeg
    IMG_20240827_131812_719_edited.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
So no geese where you are now.. you don't geese hunt but looking to learn how to kill them illegally right off the batt knowing it's not legal from the beginning

Not to call it out but.... good luck or something..

How much shot can you shoot. What caliber smoothbore?

Here's a chart

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211223-205314.png
    Screenshot_20211223-205314.png
    668 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20211223-174541.png
    Screenshot_20211223-174541.png
    247.2 KB · Views: 0
So no geese where you are now.. you don't geese hunt but looking to learn how to kill them illegally right off the batt knowing it's not legal from the beginning

Here's a chart
well heck my 20 gauge turkey loads are 1.75 oz shot and 85 grains 2f. I guess I am way over capacity

Here's a chart
Honestly, just a thought that occurred the other day, could I do this? (Theoretically). That's it, period. Geez, grumps. (Plural)🙂

It is a Federal law Prohibiting lead shot on migratory Waterfowl. Every state I've hunted in has the same law on the books. That way the state game Warden can and will issue a citation for using lead.
You can use a load of non toxic shot. Some use plastic wadding, some don't. Using nontoxic you increase velocity quite a bit which helps with penetration.
If you can get Tungsten shot, you can use much smaller shot and still be as deadly as lead. My cartridge Waterfowler friends have switched to it, using #7.5 TSS shot for ducks, and #6 geese.

Ok, I'll answer your question. OOB pellets are approximately 32 caliber and weigh about 45grs. The original load was 9 pellets, slightly under an ounce. So 70-80grs of ffg should be great.
The OOB Magnum cartridges have 12 pellets, same size. About 1 1/4 oz.
So about 90-100grs ffg will get you close.
That should work up close and personal.
We learned in law enforcement Buckshot is highly overrated. Slugs are much more effective at the same distance.

If it's a rifle probably be effective to eight or ten yards.
I started out with a CVA Kentucky rifle kit gun one day I realize I was out in the woods with shot not solid ball. I shot a couple squirrels and one duck.

My shot pattern was pretty tight. I only found where I aimed usually the head or the neck one time. It was the body of the squirrel.

Hey, I was 13 And I never really had time to practice

Now that I’m 58 and have a dedicated smoothbore and 62 caliber it’s so nice to have a couple squirrel loads a couple turkey loads and a couple bucket ball loads for bigger game

I love the versatile of my smoothbore
I buy one more gun. I would love to have a flint lock double barrel shotgun.

Back